Budget vs Blowout: coral blush

I was recently using my the Benefit Coralista blusher from the Powderazzi set I got for a bargainous £18 in the sale at ASOS.com and I spotted that it looks remarkably similar to a e.l.f. studio collection blusher (Candid Coral) I bought a while ago. Now, I don’t think I have the most precise eye for these subtle colour differences so I thought I would share some pictures of them on here and see what others think? Am I right, and is the e.l.f. blush a good dupe for the Benefit or am I totally colour blind?

So, on in the left corner we have powderazzi and on the right we have e.l.f….. I realise that left and right don’t technically have corners. And the e.l.f. swap over for the next picture… so ignore the left and right waffling. Black packaging is the e.l.f and the gold is the Benefit.

They look pretty darn similar, right? Well, I think so at least. In the swatches below the top one is the e.l.f. and the bottom one is Benefit. I think they look pretty similar, perhaps the Benefit has a slightly cooler sheen to it, but personally I don’t think there is much in it.

So I would say that if you like the look of Coralista by Benefit, then it’s worth ordering yourself a e.l.f. blush in Candid Coral to save your self a few pennies (Benefit blush is around £23.50 and e.l.f. is only £3.50+p&p).

Having said that, although the e.l.f. is surprisingly high quality for the price with a decent level of pigmentation the Benefit blush is undoubtedly smoother and creamier. If you look very closely in the pic above, the e.l.f. blush swatch is a bit darker at one end – I found this was the case as it wasn’t quite as smooth and easy to blend so there was a bit of colour build up where it was first applied. There wasn’t much in it, but us beauty junkies are meant to be a bit fussy aren’t we?

So what do you think – bargain dupe or just cheap copy?

**The Small Print**

I bought both of these products myself with my own money. All reviews are honest and impartial, regardless of source.

1. Sylves
    January 13, 2010 / 12:39 pm

Ooh excellent, I would kill for coralista but am not prepared to pay for it… So thanks,
    xx

2. Girl With The Golden Touch
    January 13, 2010 / 7:47 pm

Great dupe, will be putting an ELF order in next month I think, never used anything before! xx

3. Kyanvi
    January 13, 2010 / 8:16 pm

my personal opinion is that they are quite similar, a little bit different. Benefit one is more the coral colour and elf is more peach pink. But then consider the price and such small difference, i will think elf is a bargin, as ladies always want more colours, more to play with with a small budget.

k.
    p.s. quite curious to know how other ladies think…

p.s.s.to Girl With The Golden Touch:
    you should search online and see how other ladies said, they will definitely persuade u to try after reading, though some stuff are that good, while some are extremely good.

4. Sakara
    January 14, 2010 / 12:27 am

i have candid Coral and bloomin love it. I use their blusher brush as its so soft and gives a nice sweep of the colour, blending it well.
    It isnt hugely pigmented..but i like that as i can blend up the level of blush i want and not be afraid im putting on too much

5. scarlettholly
    January 14, 2010 / 2:25 am

I have just bought a bunch of elf products and I’m working my way through reviewing them and posting the reviews. I didn’t get Candid Coral though and I’m regretting it – it looks really good and I have been very tempted by Coralista in the past. I have also heard that there is an elf dupe of NARS Orgasm too – woah! 😉

6. Anna
    January 15, 2010 / 3:36 am

ELF has just come to Canada and sold in a lower price range chain. It is a pretty prolific brand as they seem to have everything and yes they do have a dupe of Orgasm. The only caveat is that ELF is manufactured in China and as there has been some controversy in the past about the quality of ingredients in products, I would not want to put these products on my skin, no matter how nicely they are packaged. Quality wins out.

7. January 15, 2010 / 8:22 pm

Glas the post has gotten mixed opinions! I’m still pretty convinced they are a close match, perhaps not perfect – but for those that want to save £20 then maybe this is a good option 🙂 but then again, the old sayin ‘you get what you pay for’ is pretty relevant…. sitting on the fence a bit with this one.

8. January 17, 2010 / 7:04 am

I do think e.l.f does a pretty good job imitating certain brands’ colors and the pigmentation is not bad either! i would say if they’re THAT similar.. go for the bargain dupe!*
    awesome blog 🙂

xo

9. June 5, 2012 / 12:35 pm

I love that elf blush, I think that and New Look’s one will be my summer standby blushes.