Are salon treatments worth the money?

Today I had a lovely day, filled with various beauty treatments. Starting with a hair cut at Headmasters, then a make-up appointment at Liberty then finally a beauty salon session to end the day. The subject of this post isn’t the day of treatments as such, but more the fact that it got me thinking.

Are salon treatments value for money?

Personally, I think a number of salon treatments are grossly over priced. I have slightly touched on this before with my post about salon’s and getting what you pay for and in some ways, this will sound a bit contradictory, although it’s not meant to be – I still think you do get what you pay for with salon treatments, but in equal measure I think many are overpriced.

Before I get carried away with waffle about what I think, I will set out the situation that inspired this post so hopefully it will make a bit more sense.

Today, my final beauty appointment of the day was at a central London salon, for a wax. I had booked the session with another wahanda mob deal. But, mob deal aside – the wax I had booked in for would have cost £45. Expensive, yes – but also pretty much in line with most central London salons. I can’t help but shudder a little bit at the thought of handing over £45 for being put through pain (in the name of vanity).

Today though, the thing that got to me was the length of the treatment. I was in and out of the salon in under 15mins.

I know that the main point of a treatment such as a wax is to do a job, and that is to remove hair. On this front, I have no complaints – that was all great. But I really struggle to understand how a treatment that took so little time costs so much. Of course, I didn’t have to pay the full price today thanks to wahanda but I am still left feeling a little ripped-off (no pun intended).

This isn’t a dig at any particular salon – I understand that pricing naturally stays in line with competition and I am sure that there are plenty of salons out there that make the experience worth the cost – but in this case I do think the treatment was overpriced.

So what do you think – is £45 reasonable for a 10 min wax treatment? Have you paid this (or more?) for a similar treatment? Tell me what you think?

Also, if you own/run a salon and can give me a bit of an insight into why treatments are priced as they are I would love to hear more!

1. Georgia
    June 5, 2010 / 9:24 pm

It’s expensive, but in line with rates and rent of a London commercial property.

2. Anonymous
    June 5, 2010 / 9:16 pm

Depends… what did you have waxed?

3. Sakara
    June 5, 2010 / 11:12 pm

Damn thats expensive for a Brazillian wax..but then central london ..they charge what they like as they know people will pay.
    I normally pay between £15 and £25 for a brazillian or hollywood wax

4. Anonymous
    June 5, 2010 / 11:00 pm

I’m a therapist, and Brazilian or any intimate waxing is always around that kind of price. Its because it’s an intimate treatment so naturally is a little more costly than legs or underarms. The only thing I can say is that it would normally take longer than 15 mins in most salons but that is obviously down to the salon itself and how they work there.

Personally, I like to make sure my clients get their money’s worth and even if its waxing, I like them to feel pampered.

5. Anonymous
    June 6, 2010 / 12:40 am

You are paying for the expertise of the Therapist, getting a Brazilian wrong doesn’t bare thinking about. The reason it only takes 10 minutes is because the Therapist is a trained, experienced expert.

Waxing is truly a skill, which takes a lot of time and training to acquire. I have seen the horrific results of gone wrong waxing treatments.

6. Em
    June 6, 2010 / 8:07 am

Completely agree, personally I think £45 is a lot for what is essentially ten minutes of whipping strips off your bits.

I guess that’s why we’re MobDeal fans though 🙂

7. June 6, 2010 / 9:54 am

I don’t get it either, £45 for a half hour of a lovely luxury massage or an hour of an average massage is fine but ten minutes of waxing? I don’t see the point, I mean laser treatment is an initial expense but I have no idea why people who pay for the expensive brazilian’s don’t just stump up for a few of those treatments and then they will be hair free forever!

8. June 6, 2010 / 1:53 pm

as a salon owner I can say that the overheads at my West End salon just force us to keep putting prices up, it’s not for the profit. Westinster council’s rates are extortionate and have gone up around 25% this year which is a lot of money to find. Rents, salaries – for good people make it a business that is very hard to make a profit by. Included in your cost is vat, so nearly 20% goes to vat office straight away.

We aim to make our waxing and prices as reasonable as possible, but in order to keep the place open we have to make the prices work. We are reasonably priced for W1 and rarely have clients complain abt the price.

But I get it, paying for pain seems nuts!

Krista The Beauty Lounge

9. June 7, 2010 / 1:11 am

Geez, in NYC i pay US$40… That seems really high!

10. Smaira
    June 9, 2010 / 9:06 pm

brazilian around £15 and takes 10-15 mins in nottingham xx id never pay £45. x

11. June 11, 2010 / 3:56 pm

i guess yes because there are many such problems which only a salon or beauty treatment clinic can treat it perfectly.
    but sometimes it can be very expensive too.