Beauty basics: Nivea Cream

Sometimes I think a beauty basic can be the best thing you can do for your skin, for all the money and research in the world – sometimes the cheapy basics do just as good a job.
The specific product I am thinking of is Nivea – not any of their fancy skin creams, or even Nivea Soft, just the little bog-standard blue tub. It’s one of those things that I have always had sitting on the shelf but don’t normally reach for. But with a pretty bad breakout of dry skin (thanks to to office I was working in for the past couple of weeks actually having heating – very comfortable, but not good for my skin) I reached for this in desperation.

For me, this really worked. It’s a simple, thick and creamy moisturiser that can be used on the face, body, hands, lips – anywhere and for my dry skin I went to pretty extreme lengths and used it as a moisturising mask when having a bath (basically coating a really thick layer on my face before getting in the tub and leaving it to soak in) I have also been using this at night and a small amount in the day on my nose – where the dry patches seem to be the worst.

And lo and behold, my skin is back to normal. In fact, it feels wonderfully soft today after applying it again last night.

Obviously, as with everything on this blog- the fact that it works for me, doesn’t mean it will work for everyone. But personally, I am very happy with the results and will be keeping the little blue pot close at hand for future dry-skin emergencies.

The little pot was only about £1.50 – bargain tastic.

**The Small Print**

I bought this product myself. All reviews are honest and impartial, regardless of source.

1. February 21, 2010 / 11:02 am

I always found it a little to rich for my skin, as a complete facial moisturiser, but for dry skin areas it was great – like around the nose when you have a cold etc.

Glad it helps you, the mask while in the bath sounds fantastic!

2. February 21, 2010 / 11:08 am

It is very very rich, and wouldn’t use it daily – but for emergencies it has worked a treat!

3. February 21, 2010 / 1:42 pm

I’ve always had a love/somewhat-dislike relationship with Nivea Creme. I don’t really like the scent and I can’t use it on my face at all. But this winter my skin has been truly dry for the first time and I’ve come to appreciate my tub of Nivea Creme for flaky shins, dry elbows and so forth.

4. (insert name)
    February 21, 2010 / 2:04 pm

I remember reading somewhere that Nivea creme had almost the same ingredients as Creme de la Mer!? I’ve read it a few times, and having not tried the more expensive option, I couldn’t tell you.. but it might be worth checking out!

5. February 21, 2010 / 2:12 pm

I used to use this product too! but when i brought it, it was only £1! ^__^

joanna-world-x.blogspot.com

6. February 21, 2010 / 2:41 pm

I love this for the winter when my skin is at its driest. I only apply it at night after I’ve applied my Rosehip oil though as it is so thick. It really works well!

I really recommend the Nivea Soft cream (white tub) for a daily moisturiser. I use this on my face every morning and it isn’t greasy like the blue one. I also love the smell…it’s addictive!

7. Gaby
    February 21, 2010 / 7:27 pm

Thanks for sharing! I always tend to opt for the cutest packaging… but what really matters is what is in it!

8. Mouse
    October 17, 2010 / 10:09 am

I too use the Nivea Creme – it’s the ONLY thing that restores a flaky red nose back to normal when I’ve got a cold. I also use rosehip oil then a layer of Nivea. Works wonders – my skin in the morning is just amazing! Am learning not to get sucked into the hype of every new moisturiser that is launched. Stick to what you and your skin know. :>)

9. Anonymous
    October 20, 2010 / 8:20 am

I love this creme sooooooo much it makes my skin GLOW!! 🙂