NEW: Revlon Colourburst Matte Balm

Woo! Normal beauty posting resumes! I hope you liked the January giveaway posts – I wanted to do a little bit of the whole ‘share the love’ type thing whilst I was away in Cambodia over New Year, but I am back, well rested (minus a few sleepless nights thanks to George the Gecko…more on that in another blog post) and absolutely raring to go on the life/blog front in 2014.  Starting with the first review of the year – of the latest crayon launch on the block from Revlon. These are the new Colour (or Color…but I can’t quite bring myself to spell it that way) Burst Matte Crayons, a new matte version of the easy to apply wonders that are lip crayons. As you can see, there’s a pretty extensive colour range… and I wanted to give you a closer look at them!

revlon colour burst crayon matte

Taking the shades from light to dark (give or take) we have:

215 Shameless – Deep Plum

220 Showy – Bright Barbie Pink

250 Standout – Rich Red

240 Striking – Orange-toned Red

210 Unapologetic – Hot Pink

225 Sultry – Deep Rose

205 Elusive – Mid-toned Pink

230 Complex – Nude

235 Mischievous – Pale Coral

245 Audacious – Pinky Coral

Texture wise, these are creamy so not as drying as is typical with a matte lip product. But they do still feel that bit more de-hydrating than the sheer or glossier versions. I like them, but right now my lips are really dry and just look a bit rubbish as anything less than a deeply hydrating lip balm just seems to suck all the moisture out and make them look chapped. Not to say at all that these products are drying – when it comes to matte finish these are the most moisturising I’ve tried – but more of a general heads up that matte textures do tend to be less forgiving than more moisturising ones on the lips. Pigment wise, these are fab – much more intense than the original versions with the darker shades being particularly impressive.

Shade wise, there’s a real range – my personal favourites are Unapologetic, Audacious and Standout. My least favourites are Complex and Sultry and just don’t find they work for my skin tone. Shameless is one I am slightly on the fence about – the colour is amazing but I’m just a bit too intimidated by it so don’t think I can pull it off.

It is exciting to see such a range of textures and shades in the market… if 2013 was the year of the nail – I suspect 2014 will be all about the lips!

PR samples

1. January 10, 2014 / 9:42 pm

Wow, amazing swatches! I can’t wait to get a hold of a couple of these. Thank you xx

2. January 10, 2014 / 11:32 pm

Ahh these look really lovely, I’m trying to resist but some of those colours are stunning! xo

3. January 10, 2014 / 11:38 pm

I love the look of Standout, Striking and Elusive! I love that these have good pigmentation and perform for their price. Thanks for your review and swatches!
    Amber
    Lovely Notions

4. January 11, 2014 / 12:07 am

wow you have all of them lol

5. January 11, 2014 / 1:38 am

These look so amazing, I love the concept of a matte balm, but I agree anything matte on the lips can really look drying so be sure to exfoliate your lips before using these that way they’ll look flawless and matte! I have to buy one to see how I like it.

6. January 11, 2014 / 10:35 am

I’m a huge fan of the original balm stains and I can’t wait to get my hands on these!! The shades are gorgeous. xx

duggydimples

7. January 11, 2014 / 2:08 pm

250 Standout is such a pretty colour! Love this new range! Thanks for the swatches – fantastic post!

jesimicah.blogspot.ie

8. January 11, 2014 / 2:27 pm

I really love the look of these! Can’t wait until I get my hands on some x

Claire | AgentSmyth

9. Sophie
    January 11, 2014 / 3:11 pm

My eyes were instantly drawn to Unapologetic! Love it x

10. January 11, 2014 / 3:31 pm

I love the last two colours. I can’t wait till they come to stores!

Beth | BethBlogsBeauty
    xx

11. Rikki Poynter
    January 11, 2014 / 4:49 pm

Shameless was the only colour I was interested in and I did not like the formula for it at all.

RIKKI //
    RIKKI POYNTER MAKEUP

12. January 11, 2014 / 10:54 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever been so excited by a launch! Loved the originals but matte lips are my favourite – counting down the days ’til I can get my hands on these! x

Elissa | styleaffix.com

13. Shelley Jessup
    January 12, 2014 / 12:44 am

Ooohhh I like but oh no more on my make up wish list already!

Love the corals & pinks, hopefully I’ll find a ‘buy 2 get 1 free’ somewhere. Thanks for the swatches & review x

14. January 12, 2014 / 5:25 pm

As pretty as some of these shades look my lips aren’t really a fan of matte lip products so I don’t think I’ll be giving these a try (I have enough lip products already anyway!). I do like that these one’s have matte packaging and the new glossy one’s have that amazing shiny packaging x

Becky @ The Little Blog of Beauty