Things to do in Texas

I’m heading off on a trip to Texas very soon – will of course update on what I get up to when I’m back, but before I go I wanted to make a bit of a must-do list for when I hit up America’s second largest state. So here goes the run down of thing to do in Texas …

1. Go swimming in a watering hole

I challenge you to read or say that point above without putting on a good old Southern accent. But seriously, not far from Austin (where I’ll be spending the majority of time in Texas) is Jacob’s Well. Ok, so maybe it’s not technically a ‘watering hole’ as I’m pretty sure that’s more somewhere a cowboy goes when he and his horse need a drink… but you get my drift. Back to Jacob’s Well – it’s apparently the

4aac0d2488c00c009f0b197d73d5616f

PIC via /visitwimberley.com

2. Eat barbecue food

Along with Tex-Mex, BBQ food has to be the thing Texas is known for. On the list – well, first there’s Stubb’s BBQ – which I’m actually pretty sure I’ve been to years ago (10 years in fact…) when I went to Austin for SXSW at Spring Break. But that was so many moons ago it doesn’t count and I clearly need to go back. I do have it on good authority that Lambert’s is the place to go for awesome BBQ food too. So that may just have to happen.

I’m clearly coming back the size of a house.

lamberts

Pic via: madbetty.com

3. The Oasis on Lake Travis, Austin

Ok, so I’m basically making a list of places I want to eat…. but thanks to a little time wasting research on Pinterest I spotted this place and it looks pretty ace. Even if mainly for the setting alone – as it’s described on google maps ‘Tex-Mex dining with water views’…what’s not to like. Apparently it also offers pretty special sunset views over the lake too… tacos and romance. Perfect combo.

There’s also another natural pool nearby called Hamilton Pool that I quite fancy a dip in too… apparently in Texas I’ve decided I’m part human, part Mermaid… either that or I’m just anticipating the 33degree plus heat…

oasis on the lake

Pic via: borrowedandblue.com

4. The Sixth Floor Museum, Dallas

We arrive into Dallas and spend a few days in the city before heading over to Austin. One of the things on my list of things I’d like to do is go to the Sixth Floor Museum – yep, that’s right. In-between eating (and probably visiting Sephora) I fancy a touch of history education too.

For those who might not know, the Sixth Floor Museum is located in the former Texas School Book Depository (now called the Dallas County Administration Building) in Dealey Plaza. This is the location from where Lee Harvey Oswald fired the deadly shot that assassinated President Kennedy on 22nd November 1963. Ok, a bit morbid in many ways but as someone who studied American Studies at University and am quite fascinated by American History – especially huge moments like this – I find it really interesting. Especially with all the conspiracy theories and things (were there multiple shooters etc…). So there, history as well as lipstick. You’re welcome.

georgetown texas

Image via Seth Gaines (Flickr)

5. Visit Georgetown, Texas

Again, through my research I came across Georgetown – a town just to the North of Austin that’s apparently quite pretty and very ‘typical Texas’. In fact it apparently has the honour of being the ‘most beautiful town square in Texas’ so that has to be worth a look…no?! We plan to stay here for one night on the trip to get a bit of that old school Southern charm. I also want to visit the Inner Space Caverns that are there too. SO many things I want to do, why didn’t I get properly planning sooner?!

If you’re from Texas or perhaps know the state pretty well then do let me know suggestions of places to go/things to do/stuff to eat… all suggestions very welcome! Of course the above are all totally exclusive of

1. June 25, 2015 / 11:43 pm

Lake Travis looks so beautiful! I move to California in September from England and I cant wait to explore all the different states.

Check out my MAC Lipliner x3 giveaway!

2. June 26, 2015 / 3:06 am

Ahhh love this list, I will bookmark this for when i do visit the States in the near future! Thanks for posting this 🙂

3. Sadie
    June 26, 2015 / 7:12 am

I went to Austin last year as part of a cross-country road trip and loved it, I wish we’d had more time there! If you have time, take an evening boat trip on Ladybird Johnson lake to see the bats – one of the bridges in the city has a vast colony living under it and at dusk you can watch them all flying out to get food for their babies. The boat trip companies get a good spot for viewing and will also give you some history of Austin facts while you’re there too. Also try to get to the Museum of the Weird too – loads of bizarre artifacts (some real, some obviously not) like a two-headed lamb and a ‘merman’ and when we went the chap running the tour gave us a sword-swallowing show to cap things off. Plus, Johnny Depp lived in the flat upstairs for a while too so there’s that. Have a wonderful time!

4. June 26, 2015 / 9:45 am

That watering hole looks AMAZING! I was in Texas earlier this year (Houston, before sailing out of Galveston) – what a fantastic place. Can’t wait to read more about your adventure xx

5. Sherry P
    June 27, 2015 / 1:08 am

Well howdy from Texas! Hope you enjoy your trip. Be sure to bring lots of clothes that are cool as the temps have been in the 90’s!!!! As a born and bred Texan I am sure that you will have quite the culture shock :). Welcome.

6. Vanessa
    June 28, 2015 / 1:08 pm

Being from Austin, this makes me miss it even more!

Barton Springs is another natural springs watering hole in downtown Austin. Plus many other spots along the green belt that are free.
    Lamberts is good bbq but definitely try to pop by Franklins. One of the best!
    If you want a place to cool off, go to Alamo Drafthouse for a film. They have drinks/food and have fun screenings of sing/quote a longs. Climb up Mount Bonnell for a great view of town lake.
    The bats under congress bridge are great. Happens at dusk and you can bring a blanket to sit and have a little picnic right before.

Food wise, you can’t go wrong with majority of the places downtown from bbq, tex mex, ramen, Japanese, and such. Also TONS of really amazing food truck spots.

Nightlife is great but if you want a quiet low key night with amazing cocktails, make a reservation at Midnight Cowboy. It’s a “secret” speakeasy. Cocktails are amazing.

In Georgetown there’s another watering hole called the Blue Hole. Plus all the little shops in the centre of town are really great/cute.

Enjoy your trip!!

7. July 1, 2015 / 9:44 am

If you’re in Dallas, head over to Fort Worth, which is a real cowboy town and how in my head I imagined Dallas would be. There’s a rodeo, Billy Bobs honky tonk, cattle drives, real cowboys the works!

• Jen
      July 1, 2015 / 6:43 pm

Oh God, I need to try and get there before we leave – sounds amazing!