When innovation goes wrong: Aquafresh iso-active foaming gel

It’s debatable if toothpaste falls into the beauty category or not – in my opinion pretty much anything that is related to the body/face can be considered beauty – and that includes whitening toothpaste.

So, I was sent a toothpaste product (yep, it’s beauty but still random) last year to test. Yes – I tested it at the time and wasn’t keen on it so put it to the back of the testing pile debating if I would just ignore it or come back to it and give it a second chance.

The time came again for me to drag it out of the cupboard when last week I ran out of the normal toothpaste and necessity meant I needed to drag it out again. So I did, and nothing has changed.

The product I am talking about is Aquafresh iso-active foaming gel (whitening). I guess the fact is that there is only so much you can do to make toothpaste innovative. Not much point making it vibrate like all the other ‘innovative’ products are doing so they decided to make it foamy. The problem is, that it tastes like you are just spraying aerosol into your mouth and this is not pleasant. Yep, there is a minty taste at first but pretty much immediately after it starts to foam it tastes of aerosol. It foams quite a bit, but if this really has any benefit is debatable.

Really don’t like this product and won’t be buying again and thought I would share that thought with you. Moral of the story for toothpaste product developers – sometimes sticking to the simple approach is good enough.
Oh, but for some reason my boyfriend likes it. Just can’t account for some people… has anyone else tried this out? What did you think?

**The Small Print**

I was sent this product free of charge for review purposes. All reviews are honest and impartial regardless of the source of the product.

1. Mhairi
    January 20, 2010 / 11:14 am

Maybe you got a faulty batch or something? I’ve used nothing but iso-active toothpastes for about a year and I love them. I dunno if it makes a difference but I feel like the foam really makes a difference as to how clean my teeth are.
    Admittedly they aren’t the cheapest toothpastes but I buy mine from Semi-Chem for £2, rather than the extortionate £4ish that the supermarkets and chemists charge.

2. Anonymous
    October 19, 2010 / 9:20 am

I love this toothpaste…I’ve never noticed an aerosol taste at all. I’m surprised but my teeth do seem to be noticeably whiter, something that I haven’t seen with traditional whitening toothpastes. Since I wear braces, I like that it foams once in my mouth and gets between my teeth.

3. Anonymous
    August 5, 2012 / 8:23 am

It tastes just like aerosol, but I don’t mind it much. Honestly, I just laugh to myself every time I use it. (:

4. hh
    October 5, 2014 / 1:44 pm

I dont know why you dont like this product, I’ve been using iso active toothpaste for a couple of years and I love it, my dentist asks me if I floss, even if I dont, and I used to have to. This toothpaste is my favourite and it seems it is being discontinued, which is a great great pity… Aquafresh, please bring it back!

5. Angela Mott
    October 6, 2014 / 12:34 pm

I have been using the whitening version of this product for a few years (since it was first released I think), I love it because most other whitening toothpastes/powders seem to use bi-carb which makes my mouth sore. I have been trying to get some for the last couple of months but nobody seems to sell it now, so I am now looking on-line to see if any is available as I am completely out of it. Can anybody help?

6. Howsthatwork
    August 5, 2016 / 11:47 pm

Fab product but so hard to find nowadays, I’m thinking it must be obsolete. All good things must pass.

7. August 23, 2016 / 1:02 am

I loved Aquafredh iso active toothepaste too. I live in Japan and with Marmite, Typhoo (or PG Tips or Tetleys) tea, it was one of the only three things I imported from Blighty. The aerosol cans lasted ages because a small squirt foams up so well. I don’t even know what “aerosol taste” means but I loved the taste too. The Japanese like innovation and personal hygeine so I hope aquafresh rereleases it here, and in the UK.