NOTD: Stargazer 222

I’m having a love affair with lilac nails at the moment – I love them, and I seem to be on a personal mission to collect every variation of the shade available out there. I already have Lilac Pastel from Revlon – but I can’t seem to find it so I was tweeting about this (it was very frustrating). So after my tweeting away, I was contacted by the PR for Stargazer – the make up brand available in New Look stores – saying they had a great lilac that I might like.

I’m going to be honest – I have a very mixed impression of Stargazer – they have some lovely nail colours, but the polishes absolutely stink. It’s honestly like they contain every chemical known to man. Plus every time I see them in store the collection looks pretty poorly stocked with clearly the ‘leftover’ shades left (neons, green, yellows…). It might just be the New Look stores I have been to, but I haven’t once seen any of the good shades that I know the brand has available?! So whilst I have seen the range has some good colours it just doesn’t seem to come across when I see the brand from a customer perspective in store.

Anyway, wittering aside – when I was tweeted a picture of the new colours in action I couldn’t resist but want to try them. The lilac was just the shade I was looking for and I wasn’t disappointed – a gorgeous lilac, quite sheer so two coats minimum are needed – three is better. Applies smooth, dries quickly (probably thanks to all the chemicals) and actually lasted well without chipping – there was some tip wear after about 2 days and slight chipping after 3.5… not bad for a cheap polish.

I also picked up Barry M Berry Ice Cream on Friday – and will be comparing the two shortly. First impressions are that the Stargazer is slightly more pink toned than the Barry M.

Anyway, love this colour and it got lots of compliments! I have a couple more from the brand to try but in the meantime would love to know a couple of things…

1: What are your experiences of stargazer stands in Newlook? Seen anything that looks good or are the stands unimpressive?

2: Any suggestions for other lilac shades that are worth picking up? (already on the list… Essie Lilacism and OPI Do you Lilac It?)

**The Small Print**

This polish was provided free of charge for consideration for review. All opinions honest and impartial.

1. liloo
    June 29, 2010 / 7:24 am

i could not resist: just had to tweet about this
    gorgeous gorgeous and gorgeous xx

2. Gem.
    June 29, 2010 / 11:56 am

Leighton Denny – Hello Dolly in his s/s10 collction is gorgeous….and his polishes are brilliant quality.

3. June 29, 2010 / 11:26 am

You’re right about all the left-overs only being available, in both the Nottingham and the Newcastle stores it’s like that. I’ve never seen any pretty colours from the brand but would be more inclined to go in and have a snoop around if I knew they were doing colours like this.

Secondly, I like Pastel Purple by George at Asda- tiny bottle but it’s only £1.52 and only needs 2 coats for a real burst of lilac xx

4. Anonymous
    June 29, 2010 / 11:51 am

Leighton Denny’s Made to Measure is a lovely shade of lilac and well worth tracking down.

5. Big Fashionista
    June 29, 2010 / 1:09 pm

I love stargazer nail varnishes. I went to new look in Milton Keynes and they had SO many colours I think I bought about 6. Plus I have a 9 yr old who steals my nail varnishes so they are perfect for her. My local NL range is shocking and they all look used and tested. Not what I want to see.

Have you tried any of the make up yet?
    Would love to hear if you have

6. Anonymous
    June 29, 2010 / 12:25 pm

If you like lilac shades 17(in boots) do a really nice pastel lilac!

7. June 29, 2010 / 3:12 pm

The stargazer stand in my local New Looks, always seem to be pretty well stocked and with lots of nice products but they can be abit messy – lots of glitter and eye dusts all over the furnishings, but I kind of expect that! I’ve picked up a few cute things from there! XX

8. June 29, 2010 / 3:53 pm

Eyeko Lilac? For me OPI A Grape Fit which is a darker shade but one of my all-time greats.

9. Lippylover
    July 5, 2010 / 9:59 am

Have you tried Topshops “Parma Violet” – really fab lilac colour tho apparently it’s selling out, glad I’ve got mine already!!!