I would dearly love to be one of those flawless, always perfectly polished girls – but when it comes down to it – given the choice between looking totally polished or an extra 20min in bed…I tend to go for the latter. Don’t get me wrong, I do of course take pride in my appearance and wouldn’t call myself lazy (well, not most of the time) but when it comes to all things beauty – I do love a quick win.
This little hair gadget from Toni & Guy is one of those fab products that may look a little odd but really does a great job – quickly and easily. Woo!
Back in July I filmed a YT video with an easy to follow (I hope!) tutorial for beachy waves – this tutorial uses a wand. One of the only downsides of a wand is that the hair can sort of ‘fall off’ the narrow end if you don’t have a good enough grip – the advantage of this hourglass style wand (with the narrow section in the middle instead is that it helps to hold hair a little more firmly and less likely to loose grip.
The other benefit is that the finished result a little more natural – with curls not falling into quite the same pattern as hair ends up with tighter and looser curls depending where you hold it to the wand.
This tool is a really simple one – with just an on-off switch for control – and a red LED indicator to say if it’s on or off. There’s no temp control – which is a little bit of a downside but the ease of use does give it extra brownie points.
My top 5 tips for curling hair are:
1. Always hold wand over your head – so you hold in the opposite hand to the side of hair you’re working on (left side of head, hold wand in right hand and arch your arm over your head)
2. Always twist the hair in a consistent direction – I always twist it around the wand away from my face. Just keeping this consistent makes it easier to stay coordinated.
3. Section hair so you get all of it curled. The sections don’t have to be tiny at all – the smaller the section the tighter the curl.
4. Let hair cool before brushing through. This helps the curls to set – when I say brush through I mean either with fingers (if you want to keep curls more in tact) or with a brush (if you want a looser finish)
5. Apply hairspray in layers – I apply before brushing (after cooling)
To view my wavy hair tutorial see my You Tube Channel – this wand is just as easy to use with the tutorial as the one used in the video.
Toni&Guy Hourglass Wand available from Superdrug (£30)
Toni&Guy Hourglass Wand was a PR sample