Three: classic red MAC lipstick shades

There once was a time a few moons ago when I had one little MAC shade to call my own – that shade was the classic nude-pink by the name of Angel. Fast forward a few years and a few new additions and I took a look at my MAC collection and realised that the three classic red MAC lipstick shades – Lady Danger, Ruby Woo and Russian Red are all part of the pack. Three shades all classic reds in their own right. Ask any non beauty blogger to take a look and they will tell you they’re all the same…but to a beauty blogger, these three classic red MAC lipstick shades are each unique in their own right and many have a definite favourite…

mac lady danger ruby woo russian red comparisson MAC Lady Danger Ruby Woo Russian Red IMG_6610 IMG_6612

All photos (L-R): Lady Danger, Ruby Woo, Russian Red

The most obvious of the three that stands out as different has to be the bright Lady Danger (Matte)*. This is an orange toned red and not for the faint hearted. A classic red yes, but probably the most modern feeling with the past few years brining the orange toned reds to the front of the pack. This is a matte finish (all three shades are) but doesn’t feel as matte as the other two…but perhaps that’s because I tried this one first?! But this is the one I’ve reached for most often which is probably a sign it isn’t as drying thanks to my super-chapped lips.

Then we have Ruby Woo (Retro Matte)* – quite possibly the most iconic red lipstick from MAC and can be found in many a collection… this is more the red that leans towards slightly raspberry. This is a Retro Matte formula – which basically means super, super, matte. My lips are FAR too dry to pull off this formula right now (even with scrubbing and balm) so in the face shot I am wearing with some balm underneath. But this is a true full-on matte if you like this finish.

Then last but by no means least we have the deep red classic that is Russian Red (Matte) *. Described as an ‘intense blue-ish red’ this is the deepest of the bunch and for me probably the true ‘Hollywood’ red of the trio. A deep red that is perfect for a red carpet or full on glamorous look. On switching my hair up to a darker shade this is actually the one I’m liking the most on my colouring as I don’t think the orange red works as well with my darker hair.

Now the question is… which of these are either in your collection or on your wish list? If you could only pick one…which of these classic red MAC lipstick shades would you choose as the ultimate? It’s a tough call as they all have some appeal and as soon as I think I’ve chosen I change my mind again… but I think Russian Red is my new/current favourite… for a statement red lip you can’t get much more classic in my opinion?!

*Indicates PR sample or gift.

1. January 9, 2015 / 8:07 am

I love Ruby Woo on you with the darker hair, I must say. Out of these, I only have Russian Red but it’s the red I come back to time and time again. Such a classic.

2. January 9, 2015 / 8:29 am

I love the look of all three. I think the summer light will change how you feel about Lady Danger, even with your darker hair. Some reds really come into their own in the right lighting I feel.
    Ting | http://www.thetingthing.com

3. January 9, 2015 / 8:29 am

I am not sure which one I like better on you, they are three gorgeous reds!

Personally, I feel that the pinky reds suit me better But I am no stranger to all kinds of reds! It’s the lipstick colour that always grabs my attention

4. January 9, 2015 / 11:00 am

Russian Red is perfect, I love dark reds they always look really classic x

5. Josiee
    January 9, 2015 / 11:06 am

All so pretty! I think Ruby Woo is my fave 🙂

Josie XOXO
    Fashion Mumblr

6. January 9, 2015 / 11:35 am

They all look so good, but I have only tried out Russian Red. Have hear that Ruby Woo is very drying, even if it is a very lovely color I would stay away from it. But Lady Danger really suits you, looks very lovely on you! So maybe I will try to test it out ^^

Z ♥

7. January 9, 2015 / 1:28 pm

I intend to start my MAC lipstick collection this weekend and was really torn between which one! This has convinced me that Lady Danger has to be my first choice!

Kay

8. January 9, 2015 / 2:15 pm

They are all so pretty, but my favourite is Ruby Woo! It looks great on you!

9. January 9, 2015 / 2:58 pm

Mac lipsticks have to be my favourite out there, their formulas are unbeatable, these reds are literally the only three you need!

10. January 9, 2015 / 6:53 pm

Ruby Woo and Russian Red are such beautiful colours, I can’t believe I don’t own them yet.

GreyWalls

11. jas
    January 9, 2015 / 8:18 pm

Lady Danger looks soo sooo gorgeous!
    xprincessjas | ♥

12. January 10, 2015 / 2:13 pm

Lady Danger looks beautiful on you. I only own Ruby Woo, but I am so going to get these other shades too now.

zoea2812.blogspot.com

13. January 10, 2015 / 10:10 pm

I love this, these are 3 of the most wanted reds from Mac (I also want them). I recently got Ruby Woo and I love it, but Lady Danger looks beautiful too! x

Through New Eyes | Beauty Blog

14. January 10, 2015 / 11:21 pm

Great post! I’ve had my eyes on Ruby Woo for a while but seeing your swatches of Lady Danger has me leaning towards purchasing that red instead:)

neonjenn

15. January 13, 2015 / 12:00 am

They’re all so pretty on you! Ruby Woo will always be my favourite red lipstick, it is flawless.

Niamh x