The beauty cabinet essentials (that nobody likes to talk about)

Post sponsored by femfresh.

There are some elements of the ‘beauty’ world that basically can make your toes curl a bit to talk about. I’ve always stood by the fact that I am just as likely to talk about my favourite deodorant on this blog as I am the latest YSL collection. Because to me at the end of the day, if you don’t feel good then it doesn’t matter what cosmetics you can put on – you still won’t feel beautiful. So today’s post is dedicated to looking at a few items that can tackle those beauty challenges that people basically don’t want to talk about, but are actually part of our everyday products. So no, they might not be as glamorous as a glossy Chanel lipstick… but boy are these beauty cabinet essentials important.

IMG_96101. Blackheads – Witch Blackhead Clearing Gel

I hate blackheads – more so than big gross swollen red spots (nice visual there for you). Blackheads are pesky and harder to get rid of than raised spots. They can appear all over and I’ve suffered from them on my chin (mostly) since I was a teenager. I’m always on the hunt for products that get rid. They’re caused when sebum is trapped in pores and then the melanin within the sebum oxidises to go either yellow or black. Nice huh? Well, as lovely as these sound I’d like them gone. I use a combination of deep cleansing masks and this gel from Witch to try and keep them at bay. Plus ask for extractions (ewww) anytime I have a facial to let the experts help rather than risk scars by doing it myself.

2. Body Hair – Nair Argan Oil Bikini & Underarm Glide On

I used to use hair removal cream quite frequently, bar the intense smell it was really efficient and just did a great job. I’ve pretty much stuck to shaving my legs for a year or so now (occasionally epilate too) but for underarms I’ve started using a hair removal cream again as I found my underarms getting irritated by daily shaving. This is the only cream that I’ve found to be genuinely easy and mess-free to apply on the underarms. It doesn’t irritate my skin and leaves them smooth for longer than shaving would. I always opt for waxing on my bikini area so haven’t use it there but am sure it would be just as easy if that was your removal option of choice.

3. Feeling fresh… down there – femfresh Freshening & Soothing Cloths & Daily Intimate Wash

Ok, so day to day a bath or shower most certainly does the job in terms of feeling fresh. Then of course the other ‘obvious’ time it comes in handy to have these sort of intimate wipes handy would be at things like festivals and if you go camping. But the time I think things like the femfresh wipes are the most useful is when it’s that time of the month. Maybe it’s just me, but whenever on my period – no matter how many times I shower or take a bath – I just don’t feel quite as fresh and comfortable as I do the rest of the month. So this is the time I find wipes like this the most helpful. They give a little extra burst of that fresh/clean feeling that is very much appreciated at a time when you certainly don’t feel your best.

There is of course also the femfresh Daily Intimate Wash – that’s ideal if you want to take extra care to feel fresh, without risking upsetting the pH balance and irritating the delicate skin. The handiest bit being that the shower wash is totally fine to be used all over – so it’s not like you need to faff around with a dedicated intimate wash then switch to a regular shower gel. You can use one all over and job done – then just keep a stash of the wipes around for refreshing as the day goes and you feel like it.

The whole range is designed to be the right pH to make sure they’re as gentle as possible, they’re hypoallergenic and soap free. They also have a re-balance powder and deodorant in the range too so can really take care of your lady bits if you want to feel as fresh as a daisy.

4. Ingrown Hair – Malin+Goetz Ingrown Hair Cream

I wish I could ‘get’ how this one works. When I’ve tried other ‘ingrown’ products they have either been high in alcohol content so have that immediate cooling feeling, or they have been scrub based. This is neither and exactly why I love it. It’s a cream and you only need a tiny amount that is recommended to be applied regularly around two weeks after a waxing session. It’s actually a good idea to combine with the femfresh Freshening & Soothing Cloths to ensure you’re totally clean & fresh before you apply. Along with using a cream like this, make sure you gently (I repeat, gently…) exfoliate the area you have had waxed too in the couple of weeks after to help prevent ingrowns starting.

5. Morning breath – CB12 Mouth Wash

I remember this catching my eye when it first launched. I do regularly use mouthwash but the idea that I could use one at night and in the morning the whole ‘morning breath’ thing might not be quite as repulsive is a massive win. I have a full hatred of morning breath – so much so that I would avoid kissing my husband until we have both brushed our teeth. It’s just not pleasant is it!? So now I’ve added this into the daily routine and it does make a difference. I’m not saying I’m so fresh-breathed I’d go in for a full snog upon waking, but it’s definitely eased the whole morning breath situation so is now a staple.

Do you have any other daily essential products you want to add into the mix – things you rely on to tackle/avoid any awkward beauty situations and make sure that you’re generally feeling and looking as fresh and lovely as you should be?!

For more information on all things femfresh please visit femfresh.co.uk

Sponsored by femfresh.

1. Lily
    August 11, 2015 / 8:27 am

Femfresh is a really unnecessary product designed to play on and increase the idea that lady parts are disgusting.

• Jen
      August 11, 2015 / 8:52 am

Hi Lily, Thanks for taking time to comment – I hadn’t actually viewed it like this at all as I had just looked at the product (wipes specifically) as something I find handy to make myself feel comfortable around my period. But certainly don’t think lady parts are disgusting at all and wouldn’t want it to come across in this way.

• Lily
        August 11, 2015 / 10:27 am

It’s the company’s ethics I think are questionable, not yours, don’t worry! I’ve been reading your blog for about four years and it’s got better and better!

• Jen
          August 11, 2015 / 11:27 am

Thanks Lily, really appreciate that and lovely to know you’re a long term reader!

2. Lisa
    August 11, 2015 / 8:37 am

Would have been nice for you to point out this was a sponsored post in the headline, not just some faded print at the end. Didn’t matter as it was blatantly obvious with the drivel about Femfresh, trying to make us feel unclean about being a woman. Very disappointing.

• Jen
      August 11, 2015 / 8:50 am

Hi Lisa, Fair point but this is how I disclose sponsored posts usually so no different to other sponsored posts (bar those via my ad network Mode that are to a different style). It’s a bit harsh to call it drivel as the post is still my honest words about the product regardless of sponsorship – as I wrote in the post, a shower or bath is clearly enough day to day, but for me it’s around my period that I find it makes me feel better to have these handy. Which is how I feel. Certainly not the view of being a woman as disgusting at all. But I am going to take on board about adding disclosure in at top and bottom of the post in this instance as have no issue whatsoever with it being very clearly disclosed. Thank you for the feedback though, I hadn’t considered the brand in the way you view it at all and it is food for thought for sure.

3. germangreeneyedmonster
    August 11, 2015 / 9:40 am

Femfresh and alike are definitely not useless products – if you are prone to get bladder infections and/or trush using a washing gel with the right ph setting instead of the usual shower gel can make a huge difference.
    So to all the critical commenters, obviously not every product is needed and equally useful for everyone but don’t slash it straightaway.

• Jen
      August 11, 2015 / 9:42 am

Thank you! I agree – I personally haven’t been prone the thrush but have a friend who gets it regularly and she found using gentle ph products really helps so really good point! Thank you for sharing and taking time to comment!

• Lisa
        August 11, 2015 / 6:00 pm

The Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology advise against the use of any perfumed wipes or washes. Femfresh etc are a product in search of a solution and they have a history of advertising based on making women feel they are dirty to sell product.

I’m another long term reader of the blog and was sad to see such an unethical product promoted.

4. August 11, 2015 / 9:56 am

I really liked this post – the wipes sound like a great idea, some people don’t understand the need to protect the PH balance of that part of the body – a regular wipe will most certainly not do the same job regularly, that is for sure! I think more people need to discuss femfresh products – it’s important to know what is out there, it doesn’t mean we think less of ‘lady parts’ in fact it means we care about taking good care of them! Great post x

• Jen
      August 11, 2015 / 10:21 am

Thanks Emma, totally agree and really appreciate you taking the time to comment!

5. Charlotte Samantha
    August 11, 2015 / 10:41 am

I suffer from bad blackheads and in result have left some pretty nasty open porse in result of thinking I was a therapist and could get rid of them myself! I really need to get to the beauty salon! But may give this which cleanser a try!

CharlotteSamantha // http://www.charlotesamantha.co.uk

6. August 11, 2015 / 8:48 pm

I love the entire Witch line. I’ve used a number of their products and they’ve really improved my skin.

7. Saira
    August 11, 2015 / 9:12 pm

Love this post!

8. Alice
    August 11, 2015 / 10:11 pm

I’m the same with morning breath – it well and truly makes me cringe!!
    Love Alice ♥

9. Hannah
    August 11, 2015 / 10:40 pm

I’ll have to start using the witch blackhead clearing stuff because I’ve tried other products recently and they’re rubbish 🙁
    Random Brilliance With Me

10. August 27, 2015 / 11:01 am

This is a great post, thank you for sharing!

I love the look of the Witch Gel and the ingrown hair cream, although at £26 a tube it’s a little steep, do you have any other ingrown hair recommendations?

11. September 4, 2015 / 3:15 pm

The average woman owns a cabinet-bursting 65 different beauty products – but a fifth of these products are never opened, and less than one in six are used every day. What products are essential for you?