New nail colours from e.l.f.

It’s been a while since I reviewed anything from e.l.f. but here I am again with a selection of three of their new nail colours. All of which are very ‘me’ – neutrals or purples… my favourite nail shades of the moment.

The colours are (left to right) Innocent, Nude and Lilac. Not the most creative names, but they work.

In the bottle I was mostly looking forward to trying the Nude shade – I thought innocent might have been a touch too grey-toned to suit my skin and the lilac, although a shade I love, I doubted would be anything different to the shades I already have. But I was wrong – all three of these surprised me in their own way.

Innocent was probably my favourite – ideal for a polished/mannequin hands look. Formula wasn’t great and needed two coats at least to get opacity. It tended to smudge if painting another coat before dry – so best to leave drying time between each one.

Please excuse the dodgy cuticles and messy application.

Nude was a bit of a disappointment. It was extremely transparent and I don’t think you would be able to achieve opacity on this without going as far as 5+ coats. Not necessarily a problem if transparent gloss is what you are looking for – but I had my hopes for a peachy toned, creamy, nude based on the bottle but this isn’t what it looks like on the nails.

Lilac was another one that surprised – it was a very transparent/sheer lilac, which will disappoint if you want a creamy colour but I actually quite liked it for something a bit more subtle than the other shades I have in the same ‘family’ of colours.

All pictures are two coats with no base or top coat.

These colours are fantastic value for £1.50 a bottle. No, they aren’t perfect formulas but they are good for getting a cheap fix of the latest nail colour trends – plus they are big three free (Toluene, Formaldehyde, and Dibutyl Phthalate).

You can buy them by clicking HERE. (not an affiliate link or anything, just trying to be helpful!)

**The Small Print**

PR samples for review.

1. ChicGhost
    August 2, 2010 / 7:14 am

I like the nude and the lilac… simple and elegant colours… its winter here, so I am wondering whether these may look a bit washed out for the cold weather 🙂

2. lexigirl
    August 2, 2010 / 8:47 am

Sorry the nude wasn’t so good 🙁 I believe Eyeko does a nice nude one and if you’re willing to splash out OPI do gorgeous ones! 😉

3. August 2, 2010 / 7:58 am

Loved the first nail polish

4. Sami
    August 2, 2010 / 9:37 am

I instantly fell in love with these new colours but after seeing how transparent and sheer they come out I have to say I’m not that impressed! I like my nail colour to really stand out!
    Sami x

5. August 2, 2010 / 9:59 am

I do really like Innocent and Lilac – but Nude was definitely a let down. But the other two for £1.50 each – can’t complain! Also, e.l.f. do a really nice champagne gold colour that I really should blog about – it’s lovely!

I need to find my perfect nude shade still – going to check out the OPI/Sephora colours when i go to America soon.

6. August 2, 2010 / 12:48 pm

I love the Lilac! If they look like they’re about to smudge, I wonder if a bottom and top coat would work with them?

7. August 2, 2010 / 5:23 pm

Love the colours… BUT, I ordered 5 colours from ELF and none of them were anything like the swatches! Did you have this problem? x

8. August 2, 2010 / 6:46 pm

@The Bristol Beauty Blog – I completely have this problem. It’s very difficult to tell what the polishes will look like when you apply them from the swatches on the site. They should do actual photos to make it easier to choose – one of the perils of online make-up shopping!

9. August 11, 2012 / 5:12 pm