The Sun Rooms, W1 – BAD Gelish

I recently went to a salon called ‘The Sun Rooms’ Newman Street W1 to have my first gelish manicure. I had bought a voucher deal through wahanda for the service for £15.

I already vaguely knew the salon as it’s in the area where I work but I hadn’t been there before but I hadn’t visited before so didn’t know what to expect. To cut a long story/whinge short – I was very disappointed.

When I first sat down at the manicure area I noticed it was quite grubby, which on first impressions alone is off putting. The nail girl joined me and showed me the available colours – I say available because from a range of around 40 colours they had about 10 – I was struggling to decide because the range was limited and frankly, not very nice. I was looking for something neutral but nice and could choose between clear, a sheer camel shade or baby pink. I felt really rushed, the woman openly sighed when I said I wasn’t sure, making me feel rushed so I ended up going for clear. This was a mistake.

So the manicure continued, with some pretty vicious cuticle work. I’m not a trained therapist so don’t know for sure but I always thought that cutting cuticles wasn’t advised anymore? But do correct me if I’m wrong on that.

As she started to do the gelish nails she used a prep thing that looked finished but she desperately tried to squeeze the last drop out. (totally get that they need to use products up but found this was just another factor that made the manicure feel rushed & not thorough).

The worst bit though was the finish. Once the gelish was complete I was left with it over hanging at the edges, there was fluff stuck to some nails and areas where the gelish was making my nails stick to my skin, which was:

A: uncomfortable
B: ugly
C: meant that a manicure that was supposed to last for weeks had peeled off within 3 hours (on one nail.

You can see how the gelish is over hanging here.

There were also bits where it over hung the nail that were ragged and a bit sharp.

I left feeling so disappointed, rather than looking at pretty nails that would stay that way for my holiday, I had crappy nails that looked better when I went to the salon than when I left.

I went back to the salon to complain but there wasn’t time to fix it before my holiday. They have offered to do another set for free, but to be honest I don’t think I want to go back!

I hope to book in for another gelish manicure elsewhere, so this hasn’t out me off totally but I
Really unimpressed and wouldn’t go back to that salon again.

I also feel like I should add that it’s not the end of the world that I had a bad manicure, but in the spirit of beauty blogging I wanted to share my experience to hopefully help someone else avoid it in future!

Also, thank you to Sarah from I heart cosmetics who helped by sending me instructions on how to remove the Gelish!

Manicure paid for by me.

1. Grace London
    April 24, 2011 / 7:33 am

Your poor cuticles. No cutting! That’s a very slapdash application, how disappointing.

2. Jo
    April 24, 2011 / 9:54 am

Oh no that’s so disappointing. How can a professional manicurist bear to let someone leave the salon with a rubbish job? Do they not care about their reputation?
    Do you think the discount was avaiable because they need the customers as no-one ever goes back?!!!
    Jo xx

3. April 24, 2011 / 5:54 pm

What a shame, I bloody hate when that happens. Good on you for complaining but I know what you mean, I wouldn’t go back either xx

4. April 25, 2011 / 9:34 am

I had a really bad gellish experience too and it’s pt me off for good. I think too mani manicurists don’t invest in the time taken to learn the craft properly so they end up creating a mess. Hope your nails look better now!

5. Ms Red
    April 25, 2011 / 7:16 pm

No they really shouldn’t be cutting your cuticles. Bad bad bad.

6. Anonymous
    April 26, 2011 / 2:17 pm

What a terrible experience, I would not bother going back either!

7. April 27, 2011 / 3:34 pm

God, how awful!

Have u tried complaining to Wahanda, see if they could give you a refund?

8. May 8, 2011 / 5:44 pm

This is so sad as my beautiful Gelish, when applied properly is the most wicked thing ever and last for ages. It makes me want to kick these numpties up the arse for applying it wrong and (because they clearly haven’t) not going on the Gelish training day that is available to any nail tech with a manicure and pedicure certificate (which I have). And it’s not a massive amount to shell out but some salons are so freaking cheapo! I do nip some dead skin if it’s hanging, but that’s dead skin or hangnail not eponychium (that thing that most people think is called cuticle) the cuticle is actually the skin that has grown on your nail that they scrape away. I’ve let nail harmony know about sun rooms, hopefully they can suggest to them they get training so they are offering a proper service x

9. July 7, 2011 / 6:53 am

What an awful experience. I’m a freelance mobile manicurist and I like to take my time. I take great care in my work and would never let a client leave with rubbish nails!
    I do Shellac manicures, also a gel/polish lasting 2 weeks no chipping/smudging.
    Would you like to give Shellac a try? You can come to me at my home in E14 or I can travel to you within London at your home or office.
    Rowena – Sei Bella Nails & Beauty
    info@seibellabeauty.co.uk / 07564 788 667

10. Anonymous
    July 10, 2011 / 9:59 pm

very sad as Gelish is a brilliant product with a long lasting shine, amazing colours and a beautiful look that appears natural and fabulous at the same time! pity that a bad manicure/therapist can give a great product a bad name, and waste your time and money with a disappointing treatment

11. Claire James
    August 1, 2011 / 2:36 pm

Just seen this blog, I have been going to The Sun Room for two years now and haven’t been in a salon before that have been so friendly and helpful, especially the manager. When I saw this I was a bit shocked, as my friends that I’ve recommended haven’t had a problem before either. At least they offered to do the work again for free where some salons wouldn’t even bother. I’ve had a Gelish manicure done there before and they have at least 20-30 colours available, they took their time and I was happy with the results. I’m sorry to hear that you had a bad experience about you manicure but to go through all this fuss on a blog is a bit much, especially as overall they are a great, well-established salon.