Ah the UK weather, we moan when it’s too cold and then we moan when it’s too hot. We’re like the Goldilocks of the climate. Saying that, I am loving the current heatwave – would take too hot over too cold and rain any day, so welcome it with open arms!
That being said, one the challenges that come with 30 degree temperatures in a country that’s not totally equipped (ie. most homes and a lot of buildings don’t have ceiling fans or aircon) is that it can be hard to sleep when it’s so warm. So I have a few little tips and product recommendations for you to help keep your cool when the mercury is rising!
A few tips!
1. Drink lots of water – water is not only refreshing and good for your skin but it helps your whole body function properly. So if you want your body to do it’s best keeping you cool, keep it fuelled with lots of water!
2. Wear lightweight layers – it might seem like an obvious one, but choose comfort over style. Yes, a leather jacket might look amazing over that little summer dress but now is not the time (unless you want to sweat like a pig). Choose lightweight layers to keep your skin cool during the day. Hot doesn’t always mean just wear less clothes though! Skimpy doesn’t always mean coolest!
3. Sleep with just a sheet – I’m generally a year round duvet fan. Despite the heat I still can’t beat the comfort of a snuggly duvet. But a single sheet helps – like lightweight clothes – to keep a layer of cooler air on top of your skin without keeping the body heat in.
4. Invest in a fan – seriously, so worth it just to keep the air moving at night. A simple desk fan works wonders at night in a heatwave!
5. Water spritzes are your friend! I’ve been using two over the past few days – Avene Eau Thermale Spring Water* (Available from Boots) when at home, then have been stashing the mini Vichy Eau Thermale* (Available from Boots) in my bag for on the go. The tube is pretty gross most of the time, but worst in the hottest months – this at least gives the impression of taking away some of that grimy feeling! I find these sprays a really great way to refresh without ruining hair or make-up (if wearing any) and keep skin feeling cool. I spray on Face, arms (especially pulse points) and feet.
6. Speaking of feet – having cool feet can give the impression of your whole body cooling down. So recently I have been loving this Tired Leg Gel from Montagne Jeunesse* (available HERE). Not only does the cherry scent remind me of Calpol but this gel has a lovely cooling, refreshing sensation that feels fantastic. I’ve been applying on my feet and upto my knees right before bed and it really does make me feel cooler.
7. Cooling body lotions – I’ve always loved the Vaseline Aloe Vera Gel* (Available from Superdrug) for a cooling, refreshing sensation and this has been my recent body refresher of choice. Another good option is any cooling aftersun. You don’t need to have been in the sun to use one of these of course – the Piz Buin After Sun with Aloe Vera and Mint Extract* (Available from Superdrug) is amazing for this. Plus it’s double duty – leaves skin cool and soft at the same time!
8. Tie your hair up – a simple tip for long haired girls. But if you have long hair and want a cooler feeling at night, stick it up in a top knot, or whatever feels comfortable to sleep. Just get it off your face and neck. Another plus being you’re less likely to sweat on it overnight so more likely to get an extra day between washing/styling. Keeping it up in the day is also a big plus in Summer – simply keeping the neck cool helps the whole body!
Happy heatwave everyone!