The Sun has made it’s appearance after a bit of a dreary Winter – and Spring is here. I adore Spring and love how that first hit of sun and warmth just shakes off the winter blues and makes everyone that little bit happier. Maybe even hanging up the cynicism that seems to build over the colder months and replacing it with excitement for sunshine and Summer being around the corner. It also serves as a little reminder that I am apparently a grown-up now as it seems to inspire me to want to have a huge spring clean and a bit of a redecorate… which is what this post is all about. Little touches and changes you can make, where to get some Spring home inspiration from and a bit of a wish list of things I’d love to purchase to give my flat a little bit of a Spring make-over.
Of course the first port of call for all things interior inspiration has to be pinterest – which really works for all sorts of inspiration… homes, weddings, holidays, food, fashion… it’s a veritable treasure trove (and slight time-sucker). I have boards for almost all of the above and more – I created a new one to put all my Spring Interior Inspiration (all inpspiration images above sourced from Pinterest and can be found on the board).
It’s basically lots of white, cream and the odd touch of yellow or green. I am a huge sucker for white and grey for decorating as think that if you have something clean and simple like that (with the grey being all important to stop it looking too clinical) then through seasons you can add the smaller touches to make it feel fresh each time. For Spring there are a few items I’m coveting from the wish list above:
1. White Circular Mirror (John Lewis) – I love mirror for decorating. They make a space feel bigger and add a real depth to a room. I like them above lots of pictures on walls as whilst taste changes, a simple mirror always looks good. I also appear to have a bit of a thing for circular mirrors – the white frame detail and finish on this will really brighten up a room.
2. Grey and White bedding (John Lewis) – All year around I love a new set of bedding. There’s nothing like crisp clean sheets and bedding has to be the quickest and easiest way to transform a bedroom. So if you’re maybe living in a shared house, or even still at home and your bedroom is the only space you have the say over – then go for a set of sheets, it can make-over a room without needing to lift a paint brush. This white and grey set is just my sort of style.
3. Jo Malone London Reed Diffuser (Jo Malone) – I love home fragrances and pretty much constantly can be found burning a candle or spritzing a room with some sort of scent. My all time love from Jo Malone is the Pomegranate Noire Reed Diffuser, but whilst I love it – it isn’t all that Spring-like, so I’m switching it up for some Lime Basil and Mandarin or one of my other favourites – Neom Happiness. Also as a reed diffuser, a more Spring-suitable way to fragrance your home, although I am still partial to the odd candle burning…
4. Cream Storage Chests (John Lewis) – Along with a few re-decorating touches, it’s good to go for the old ‘Spring Clean’ blitz. I did this a couple of weeks ago and basically de-hoarded like a mad woman. At the end of the three day long mission (thank goodness I only live in a small flat or it would take years)… I had over 10 bags of rubbish/recycling to get rid of… Insane. But now I’m left with an under-bed area that’s totally clear and lots of space I didn’t think I had. It’s very refreshing. But along with any clear out, you also need places to put the stuff you keep – these two storage chests are ideal for doubling up storage and style so you have somewhere to hide the junk/towels/spare sheets etc, but in a way that doesn’t look cluttered. I love the cream colour as it’s nice and bright and the trunk style has tons of character.
5. White Table Lamp (John Lewis) – Lamps are another quick and easy way to change up the look and feel of a room without needing to splatter yourself in paint. If you have a bit of a dull room that maybe lacks in natural light, then adding a white lamp just brightens the space easily. I love the idea of this white lamp against the grey walls we have in our living room – slowly but surely we’re adding a few little white touches – taking it from a room that was all beige and brown to one that’s more a palette of all grey and white – with the odd splash of mint…
6. Sausage Dog Cushion (John Lewis) – As much as I try to be this grown-up person who feels refreshed after a spring clean and has a slightly unhealthy obsession with storage…there’s also a big part of me that’s a big sucker for two things: 1. Anything sausage dog/dachshund (or bunny) related and 2. Anything rainbow patterned (which totally goes against my dreams of a minimal grey and white home). This check one of those two boxes and still gets me to stick with the grey and white theme…
Of course, one of the cheapest and easiest ways to make a room feel Spring-like is a bunch of tulips or daffodils… easy!
All Items above (except item 3) available from John Lewis Home and Garden