Urban Decay Naked Basics 2

I am both baffled and fascinated how Urban Decay keep coming out with new nude offerings… every time I think they must have expired all the nude options, they bring something else new and the neutral lover in me is always enthralled. This is the new Urban Decay Naked Basics 2 palette – and whilst it’s not necessarily one to get our beauty loving knickers in a twist in *quite* the same way as a Naked palette. It is a great new staple offering – with a capsule collection of six easy to wear shades that are great for every day, with the darker shade being ideal to add a bit of smoke.

urban decay naked basics 2 IMG_5024 IMG_5027 IMG_5030 IMG_5033

Very much like the first Urban Decay Naked Basics palette, the six shadows are split so there’s one with shimmer and the remainder matte. The difference between the two being that the Urban Decay Naked Basics 2 leans towards the cooler tones for the shades, where the original is slightly warmer. Although the difference is very subtle – I would say if you already have one then you probably don’t *need* the new one. And in my opinion (maybe I need my eyes tested) but the new one seems to be warmer toned to me for most of the shades.. But I totally get it if you want it to keep your Naked collection complete. I guess the main appeal is that with the new shades you can make a choice between the warmer or cooler shades that work for your skin tone.

To see the two swatched against each other I’ve put my swatches of each side by side below…

urban decay naked basics palette original and two

Overall, it’s a tough call to really pull out the differences between them. I’d say that the Naked Basics Original has stronger pigment for the pale shimmer/highlight shade and the dark shade. But the Naked Basics 2 is more universal and day to day friendly – the darker shade is softer in this so can add definition for day, or dial up for smoke for evening. These palettes – both of them – are both perfect for weekends away due to the size. They’re perfect for travel – but still have a decent sized mirror. The packaging really is ideal – light, rubberised, big mirror, no wasted space.

Had I not had either palette, on swatching them Urban Decay Naked Basics 2 would be my top pick as I like how the dark is softer and the shimmer is a bit less frosty than that of the original.

Which one stands out to you the most… tempted to purchase? Wonder what naked wonder they will come up with next…!

Urban Decay Naked Basics 2 * launches 1st October and will be available at Debenhams

1. sarah
    September 24, 2014 / 1:08 pm

I do have the Naked Basics Palette and I love it! I just love the neutral matte shades! But your description has confused me a little bit because Urband Decay describes its new Naked Basics 2 palette as a more cool toned palette than the original Naked Basics. I’m thinking about buying the new one too because I loved to have more variety.

2. September 24, 2014 / 1:31 pm

I really like the look of the Basics 2! I think I’ll get lots of wear from it, the colours are so pretty for every day wearing! I might have to ask for it for Christmas 😉

• Jen
      Author
      September 24, 2014 / 1:49 pm

Ah, sorry for the confusion – my fault! I was confused a bit too to be honest as the site does say it’s cool toned but in many ways I see it being more warm than the shades in the original – hence why I wanted to put them side by side to compare… I’m still somewhat on the fence over which is cooler to the other!

3. September 24, 2014 / 2:06 pm

Gah! I told myself I would not fall in love with this palette, as I already have (and use the crap out of) the first one. The Naked Basics 2 is SO similar, but the little differences between the two are slowly persuading me to make the purchase. The Stark and Cover shades are especially beautiful!

Ok. That’s it. I’m buying it. The end.

I loved this review! 😀

-Jessica

4. September 24, 2014 / 3:33 pm

You don’t need your eyes checked – I had the same thought about the Basics 2 actually feeling warmer than the original Basics palette! They’re both pretty either way though.

Melissa | http://www.misformelissa.com

5. Lily
    September 24, 2014 / 5:04 pm

I really want to give this a go. I haven’t got any of the Urban Decay eyeshadow palettes because they never seemed worth it as I don’t wear a lot of eye shadow, but this appeals to me x

llyloves.blogspot.co.uk

6. September 24, 2014 / 10:54 pm

I cant wait for this to come out in the UK next week. Hopefully I will be able to get my hands on one

zoea2812.blogspot.com

• Jen
      Author
      September 25, 2014 / 12:03 pm

Fab, thanks for the heads up!x

7. September 26, 2014 / 4:28 pm

I’m yet to indulge in any Naked palettes but was considering the Naked 3. However, I think I prefer these colours!

franleanne.blogspot.co.uk