Essence is one of only a few brands that I used to get excited about when heading on holiday somewhere like Spain. A brand that was highstreet prices, with a huge range – including limited editions – but not available in the UK. But that all changed a couple of months ago, when they opened a stand in Westfield. Exciting times, I know. Ahead of the stand/counter launch I went along to the launch event and go to peruse the EXTREMELY extensive range and select a few bits and bobs to try. Originally I was planning to do a blog post on the items- but decided that a post is actually a better way to take a look at an edit of the pieces I chose and what I would shout out as my recommendations to try from the brand next time you’re heading to Westfield (or Wilko – the brand is also stocked there, as well as online – see bottom of post for link).
1. Essence Quick & Easy Sponge Polish Remover – Simply a great invention that should have launched years ago. I’ve tried a few different brand offerings of this sort and nice to have another cheapy to add to the mix as this is only £3 for the pot. Bargain.
2. Essence Blush Up Powder Blush in ’10 Heat Wave’ – Reminds me a little of the much coveted (and I still have one of) MAC Ripe Peach although the colours are slightly different it has that sort of feel to it. A lovely colour and quality that defies the fact this only costs £3.50 – yes. Really.
3. Essence Big Bright Eyes in ’01 Nude’ – Reminds me of the Benefit Eye Bright Pencil but a WHOLE lot cheaper. A matte nude shade that is much more flattering to brighten the eyes than a white. Perfect for not so bright-eye mornings. Again, a bargain at only £2 and also available in two other shades (nude with a shimmer in two different tones).
4. Essence Studio Nails Cuticle Softener Pen – The nail care offering from Essence was actually one of the things that grabbed my attention the most. With everything from at-home gel look nails, to magnets, to more colours than you can imagine, plus a whole host of tools, and products for taking care of nails and cuticles in a whole manner of ways (think cuticle creams, roll on oils, cuticles pens…the list goes on). This is one that caught my eye though as it’s just so easy. It now sits in my little desk manicure station so if I ever feel I have dry/hard cutciles (sexy, I know…) then I whip this out and give them a little treat. Not bad for £2.50 – it’s also good for on the go as the price means I wouldn’t be as heartbroken if I lost it!
5. Essence All About Sunrise Palette – A lovely little palette packed with super shimmer shadows. They feel very soft to use and quite pigmented – but as I said, super shimmering. So if shimmer isn’t for you, then steer clear of this one I think. Cheaper brands do tend to focus on shimmer shadows I think as the formula seems easier to get feeling premium for a cheaper price where matte shades can be a let down in the cheaper market. This is the sort of palette that’s perfect for a holiday – cheap (again, less heartbreak if lost), shimmering, gorgeous bronze shades and easy to use. I really like the palettes actually as they have a good shade selection – this one is only £3.50 (again, yes. Really).
So those are a little peek at my top five picks from the Essence range – let me know in comments if you want to see more from the brand and if you have any Essence favourites that I need to check out!
Essence Cosmetics * are available online at Wilko.com