When it comes to party season, I feel like the pre and actual party essentials is the easy bit. It’s the bits and bobs that can make you look/feel less like death warmed up the morning after that are tricky. The amount of times I’ve reached for super heavy foundation to try and hide my frankly ill looking complexion or sack-sized under-eye bags… rookie error. Genuinely going light and fresh on the make-up front works many more wonders than a full coat of spackle ever can. So here are a few of my post-party pick me ups. These can work a treat after any sort of late night – a drunken debaucherous one, or just a lack of sleep and you need a kick up the bum to wake up. These are my post party essentials – products and tips to make you feel a little better than you might do otherwise.
1. Get your tired butt in the shower – take something that’s a real wake up with you. Citrussy or minty fragrances are my favourites for a breath of fresh air. If you have time to wash your hair, do it – it will make you feel 90% cleaner than if you skip it. But if those extra moments of snoozing matter more to you, then pin your hair up and have a good old scrub in the shower. Stick on some moisturiser when you get out too, a small step but definitely one towards feeling more human.
2. Freshen up that face – There are two Origins gems that are a tired-persons best friend. One, the GinZing Scrub *, smells of oranges and instantly will scrub your face into looking more awake. If more drastic measures are needed to bring you back from the bring of tiredness then reach for the GinZing mask * too. Or go double whammy and use both. The smell alone is worth it, but the complexion perking-up is also a massive plus. In fact, the whole GinZing range is basically made for post party mornings.
3. All about the eyes – For me, the tiredness shows in my eyes more than anywhere. Usually in the form of looking bloodshot and a bit puffy. A good look. So there’s a trio of things I reach for but starting with just one – the AMAZING cooling/refreshing/depuffing masks from Skyn Iceland *. They actually have a whole bag of masks – the Face Lift in a Bag that is designed basically for these exact circumstances of ‘oh God, I need to fix my entire face to look human again’. You can pop these gel patches on to your forehead, under eye and smile lines and a few minutes of cooling goodness and you will feel more refreshed and awake. The eye ones are my personal favourites – I always take them when I fly anywhere and for a hangover/tired day they’re amazing. Trust me. You need these.
4. Make-up – As I said, the number one rookie error on a hangover post-party day is to trowel on the slap to try and hide the night before. I now always go light and fresh and definitely feel it works better and feels better (and is quicker). So I reach for my favourite tinted moisturiser from Clarins – the Clarins Hydraquench Tinted Moisturiser *, Amazing Concealer from Amazing Cosmetics *. Is as the name subtly hints…amazing. Very hydrating whilst hiding dark circles nicely. I also always apply a base to my eyelids – even if skipping shadow. My lids tend to reflect the pinky blood-shot giveaway of my eyes and a shadow primer just evens this out and brightens them a bit. A definite essentials when it comes to looking fresher than I feel. The cheeks are then perked up with my go-to fresh looking blush – Coralista by Benefit. Never a time when I don’t love this blush. A slick of peachy light blush is also a good one – I’d always skip anything high maintenance like a bold lip the day after. This is a shade from Barry M – a special limited edition shade ‘Holly A’s surprise gloss‘ * (70% of the proceeds will go to Katharine House Hospice).
Lastly – a load of mascara for the lashes. Recently been loving No7 Midnight Lash mascara*. Great fluffy wand and very easy to layer – plus nice and dark. Mascara is the main thing that I think you can go a little heavier on for a post-party day. Then finally a dusting of powder to keep shine at bay. Maybe just me, but I always feel/look more shiny on a day-after party day.
5. Diet Coke – On a REALLY bad post-party day this will not be the diet version but the good old red-label full-fat version. But on a normal day a good old ice cold diet coke will do the trick. I am also partial to a bottle of Bannana Yazoo which I find is an excellent hangover cure. My two go-to cures for a hangover though (depending on severity) either Sushi and Diet Coke (yes, even in the morning – trust me, it works) or fried egg sandwich and full fat coke. Make sure you then follow with lots and lots of water through the day too…
What are your post party essentials ? Any hangover wonder cures to share…new suggestions always welcome. Or just amazing tips to feel awake after a late night!