Urban Decay Naked Smoky Palette

Every time we think the whole Urban Decay Naked family might be complete, they go and pop out another little gem. This latest one will certainly appeal to anyone who has ever loved to create the classic smoky eye as this time around we have the Urban Decay Naked Smoky palette – in all it’s moody smoky glory.

IMG_9495 IMG_9496The palette follows the usual larger Naked palette format – with twelve shades, a mixture of mattes, shimmer and some with a hint more glitter than shimmer.

The shades are actually a really interesting blend of shades – with some warmer and cooler tones and the one palette could easily be used for a subtle daytime smoke as well as a more dramatic nighttime one also. It’s a bit too predictable to think it’s all just shades of black and grey, when in fact the warmer tones really help mix things up. Along with the matte shades that are great if you want a modern contoured smoky eye without the shimmer.

Shade wise I feel like the twelve shades can be split into three categories – which is how I swatched them. One, the warmer tones (four on the left), the cooler toned (four in the middle) and the matte shades (four on the right). Of course this isn’t how they ‘must’ be used – there are no rules so you can mix and match as you see fit. But that’s sort of how I see a natural grouping happening.

IMG_9503 IMG_9518

Above shades from left to right: High: Pale shimmer champagne; Dirtysweet: Pale shimmer gold; Radar: Shimmer brown; Armor: Shimmer taupe.

IMG_9504 IMG_9527

Above shades from left to right: Slanted: Shimmer mid silver grey; Dagger: Slight shimmer dark grey/black; Black Market: black with hunt of shimmer; Smolder: Deep purple shimmer.

IMG_9505 IMG_9540

Above shades from left to right: Password: dark grey/taupe matte; Whiskey: matte mid brown; Combust: nude pink mate; Thirteed: matte off white.

Overall I am more excited about the shades in this palette than I honestly expected to be. Whilst I like a smokey eye, I tend to still lean towards the warmer more traditionally ‘Urban Decay Naked’ shades and just dial up the darker shades. So I’d on the surface not be as won over by the smoky offering. But having seen it I’ve seen  how it’s actually a good all rounder – with a blend of shades to suit all. It’s almost like there’s a bit of both the two original palettes and a touch of the basics in there too… a winning combo. If you love a smoky eye then no doubt this will be on your wish list immediately.

Urban Decay Naked Smoky * (RRP £38) available online at urbandecay.co.uk from 30th July 2015.

*PR sample or gift.

1. July 28, 2015 / 8:13 pm

Ohh this looks so pretty!

2. July 29, 2015 / 8:16 am

I can’t make up my mind about this palette – I just feel a bit ‘meh’ towards it! Will need to see it & swatch it to decide xx

Beautylymin

3. July 29, 2015 / 12:10 pm

I honestly can’t decide if my mind is saying that I hate this palette or whether my mind is telling me that I must have it. There’s some amazing shades and I think it’s great for a versatile look. I think that I must have it!

prettymadthings.blogspot.co.uk // x

4. July 29, 2015 / 1:47 pm

These are lovely shades. I can imagine it being great to play around with to create a gorgeous evening smokey eye!

Katya | The Beauty Harbour

5. July 29, 2015 / 2:34 pm

I love this palette! I can’t wait to get my hands on one.xx

Lissy | lissyslife.com

6. nueyork
    July 30, 2015 / 6:33 am

This is such a beautiful palette! I am not a huge smokey eye person, but I am still so tempted. x

nueyork.blogspot.com

7. July 30, 2015 / 12:55 pm

I was really hoping i was going to be able to convince myself that i wouldn’t need this pallet……but who am i kidding 😛 this pallet gives a lot more options than i was expecting. love it, thanks! <3 – Leonie | http://www.missleoniewilson.com

8. July 30, 2015 / 5:24 pm

It’s a great product launch in my opinion, considering the quality of the UD’s eye shadows is usually far higher than the average…

9. bridget burnett
    August 10, 2015 / 4:14 pm

I’ve read many reviews of this palette and not finished one thinking “hmmm….that actually sounds quite interesting.” I had no intention of considering buying this for myself but after reading your review it seems like a perfect introduction to “quality” eyeshadows for a 1st time buyer. It looks like it covers a shade range of light to dark, with a good mix of neutrals and deeply pigmented dark colours that could be used to line the eyes, add shade to the crease and impact to the lid. It looks multifunctional, and all shades could be used to the bottom of the pan rather than a person sticking to a few favourites and ignoring the rest. At the end of the day, and in the current financial climate a pallette at this price has to be a worthy investment rather than a disappointing addition to a cosmetic collection.