I can see clearly now…

This is a little random, but something I wanted to blog about as I sit here squinting… it’s something that’s been on my mind for a while.

I don’t currently wear spectacles/glasses/specs/goggles. Despite knowing that I should – I spend a ridiculous amount of time in front of the computer every day (with a computer based job and the blog…) and have a bit of a concern that all this squinting is giving me wrinkles. Oh, that and I can’t see stuff all that well from a distance, which isn’t ideal.

Source: WeHeartIt

I last had an eye test about six months ago and was given a prescription – that I have basically ignored so far. I think I get my approach to glasses from my Dad. That if I start wearing them, my eyes will just get lazy and get worse. Despite this, I know it needs to happen – I start to get headaches and so on when I’m in front of a screen for so long. So I should really suck up my vain side and get on with it. So with that in mind I have been checking out different styles and trying to decide what sort of glasses wearer I think I will be…(and looking on Pinterest/WeHeartIt for inspiration.

In my dreams I’d look something like these girls in glasses:

Source: Pinterest
Source: WeHeartIt

Well, maybe not exactly like that… but you know, relaxed, stylish and happy rather than geeky and awkward.

I’m not convinced I can pull of the sexy secretary look. Clear frames are a bit too ‘grandma’ like and geek frames just aren’t really me. So I’m a bit stuck really. I just don’t really know how to go about choosing glasses when I feel like I’m wearing fancy dress in all of them?!

I’m also tempted to give contact lenses a go – but not totally sure I’m OK with putting something *in* my eye every day.

What I’d love it some help/advice from any of you out there – glasses wearers and non wearers a like. What should I do… just suck it up, get glasses and get over the fact I think I look ridiculous in them or go down the contacts route? Or do I skip them both and just squint my way through life until botox is the only answer??! If going for glasses, where do I start and decide what style is for me?!

Sponsored content by Lensway.

1. Anna L
    November 3, 2012 / 8:18 am

Go to a good optician just to try glasses on. Ask them what frames they think would suit your face they do this for a living. Try on glasses until they fall out of your ears. Take pictures if you can. Go away and think about it, then bring a friend who’s advice you can trust. Oh and don’t skimp too much, you’re going to be wearing these on your face for a few years.

That said, I used to wear contacts and I loved them, but my eyes are too sensitive now. I’d go for a combination, get glasses for everyday and contacts for special occasions…

2. November 3, 2012 / 10:00 am

I’m a non glasses wearer and I personally think that prescription glasses are like sunglasses! Not every style or shape will suit everyone but you’ll eventually find the perfect pair! I’m sure there’s a pair of glasses perfect for you out there somewhere! Good luck with whatever you decide!

Nicole x

3. November 3, 2012 / 10:41 am

My bf works in an opticians so I asked him. If you have a prescription you really should get it filled. Tgere are so many styles and ranges out there, you could find a frame you like and then ask if they can fill it which should be fine (it’s only really high or low presceiptions that are tricky). You should go to your opticians and find someone who can exain everything through to you. You cod try a mix of glasses and contacts and they’ll teach you how to put them in. Hope that helps!

Steph xx

4. November 3, 2012 / 11:18 am

I’ve worn contact lenses for years after wearing glasses for so long, you can get contacts that you can sleep in and just take out and replace once a month but last week I bought myself some new glasses and have been loving them so far

5. November 3, 2012 / 11:51 am

Wear the glasses. You will be amazed at how much difference glasses make in terms of reducing tiredness and headaches.

Go to a an optician with a big range, take a friend, ignore the sales staff and try on every pair in the place. Spend a reasonable amount on frames as there is a quality difference between cheaper and more expensive ranges. Go to somewhere like Specssavers to get some cheap pairs to keep as a back-up.

6. November 3, 2012 / 4:54 pm

I can highly recommend Specsavers. I wear contact lenses on a daily basis, and glasses for driving on days where I’m not doing much and there’s no point popping my contacts in.

Because I’m on the contact lense scheme with them, I get my glasses really cheap!

I’d recommend getting both glasses and contacts, so you have freedom.

7. Anonymous
    November 3, 2012 / 5:01 pm

Frankly wrinkles will be the least of your problems! Get the glasses. Find some you like in an actual shop and get them. It’ll be so much better for your health/wellbeing in the long run.

Also if you drive and are having long distance issues that can be dangerous.

Also more expensive doesn’t always mean better – some Dior and Valentino offerings recently have been very poorly made. Specsavers can vary a lot but if you go to a larger one you’ll probably find something decent.

8. Boscy
    November 3, 2012 / 7:43 pm

I’d definitely say go with contacts, but you’ll need glasses too. I wear contacts most days and glasses when I’m at home and very occasionally ‘out’ if I feel as though I need to give my eyes a rest. What I’d DEFINITELY recommend is going into Boots Opticians – they will give you a free contact lens consultation and give you lenses to try for a week (or, in my case for two months!) until you’ve found the ones that work for you and can decide whether you’d be okay sticking your fingers in your eyes every day. You can also then sign up with their contact lens scheme which is amazing (they deliver your lenses to your home and you get Boots points AND 10% off all Boots branded things). Although you don’t have to sign up to any of this – you can just try the lenses for the week and see how you go and you’re not obligated to pay a thing! Would love to know how you get on but honestly I’ve had the best experience ever with Boots for my lenses xx (oh and you also get 50% off all glasses if you sign up to the contact lens scheme!)

9. November 3, 2012 / 8:17 pm

I used to wear glasses but found that I wouldn’t always wear them- I changed to contacts and would never look back! They’re amazing and being able to see properly all the time is fab x

10. Hannah
    November 5, 2012 / 12:19 am

Get what you feel comfortable with, but don’t NOT get either contacts or glasses, you can go for a 30 day trial at most of the bigger contact lens spots, so why not try those first and see how you go with contacts. If you’re not keen on the idea of glasses get the 30 day wear contacts. But you will need some glasses for the days you can’t wear lenses.

11. ClareLouise
    November 5, 2012 / 9:30 am

Speaking from an Optics background I would defiantly get glasses, if you have a prescription and are having problems like eye strain and headaches glasses will make such a difference. However if your thinking of getting contact lenses you need to get glasses too, your optician will explain all the reasons for this. If you sit at a computer literally all day your eyes can sometimes get dry because you don’t blink as much, this can make contact lenses uncomfortable so make sure you do a good trial with them to see if you want to use contacts or glasses mainly.
    Finally please go try the glasses on, the optical assistants are there to help you and have a lot of experience in helping people find the perfect pair of glasses….they’re not just sales people trust me!
    Good luck x