Glossy Box August 2013

Today’s posts are going to be all about the goodies in this month’s beauty box offerings. Starting with Glossy Box… this month’s box is the ‘High Flyer’ themed box, all about beauty bits for on the go and travel.

In my box I received a little bottle of the Philosophy Purity Cleanser, a Oceane Make Up Remover Pen, a sample of Juicy ‘Noir’ perfume, a Jelly Pong Pong make-up pencil in an aubergine shade and some eyelash curlers.

Overall, I’m a little bit ‘meh’ about this months box, something I have felt for a while with the standard Glossy Box – the special edition ones are fabulous and have had some really exciting content. But generally, the usual boxes have felt like something is missing recently.

For me, the best bits are the eyelash curlers (really great quality, solid, not at all flimsy) and the Philosophy Cleanser which is one I have tried samples of before and liked – so the small size is ideal for weekends away etc.

I think the problem is that I can’t quite put my finger on what it is about this Glossy Box that left me feeling a bit indifferent. Maybe the fact the make-up item is a shade I wouldn’t wear, in which case that is a personal thing – not something that really should reflect on the box overall really. Or maybe it’s the inclusion of a perfume sample – that anyone can pick up for free in a department store or perfume counter – I just can’t help but feel disappointed when these are in there. But the last box (the turquoise special edition) was a great one, so it’s just a bit hit and miss I guess!

For more information: Glossy Box

PR sample

1. August 26, 2013 / 9:37 am

I’ve been tempted to subscribe to Glossybox but can’t justify the high monthly price for not-so-exciting products I might not like or use. Although the boxes themselves are perfect for makeup storage! xo

2. August 26, 2013 / 3:15 pm

I’m not surprised you’ve been left not feeling too bothered, I’ve been wanting to get glossybox for a while but people only seem to like the special edition ones :p I don’t think they should give samples that anyone could get for free, I mean why should u pay for free samples xx Emmi

3. August 27, 2013 / 1:28 am

I totally agree, I had cancelled my Glossybox and then re-subscribed just for the special edition version. Will probably unsubscribe as I don’t think they put as much love into the boxes as they first did when it all started.!

4. August 30, 2013 / 8:54 am

Thanks for the post. I sometimes feel the same with glossybox. The only positive point in this month was the purity 3 in 1 facial cleanser. I have never tried this product before and now I know I will love it. So creamy and so soft and gentle on the skin.

5. BeautyDaze
    September 1, 2013 / 2:31 am

I just want to say, without being at all horrible, it really isn’t that easy to get vials of perfume samples for free any more. When beauty boxes first came about, and people started to moan about perfume samples being included, a beauty blogger went out and investigated how easy it is to get them. I’m sorry, I can’t remember the blog, but I’ll hunt for it if you want. In the post the girl mentioned she was dressed nicely, and had shopping bags from pricier shops, MAC, etc, so as not to have potential counter staff think she can’t afford to buy. She spent a whole day shopping, in various stores, talked to staff, made it clear she was looking to buy but at no point was she offered any samples vials to take away.
    A few years back, perfume vials were the method of sampling used. However, the samples are costly to produce. Companies figured they would save more by only allowing customers to take a spray sample instead of a vial.
    Since reading that post, I know I for one haven’t seen samples vials in shops for a while now. It’s worth remembering before you moan next time.

Sorry it’s such a long comment, it just annoys me a bit.

Steph xx

• Jen
      September 1, 2013 / 10:40 am

That’s a good and totally fair point. So thanks for your comment! I think the last time I went looking at perfumes it was at a Dior counter and I was buying something at the same time and the counter lady was more than happy to pop a couple of samples in with the purchase, but that could very well be just because I bought something! x