The wanderlust list

It’s Summer holiday season, and if you’re jetting off near or far then travel is probably something crossing your mind this time of year. I LOVE to travel, love to get some sun, see new places, re-visit ones I love and see people I don’t get to see enough all across the world. I have always promised myself unless there’s really no way I can do it then I will always say yes to the chance to travel. Either through this blog (still pinch myself that this even happens) or with Ollie, friends or family. This year I have been fortunate enough to take a few amazing trips, and it got me thinking to my wanderlust list … where in the world do I want to go in my lifetime and why. Let me know where’s the top destination in the world (no matter how near or far) that you would head to if money & time was no issue!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

New Places:

1. The Maldives – My number one dream destination and somewhere I really hope I’ll be able to visit one day. Why? Well, you only need to see one picture of the dreamy islands to know why. This series of small to tiny islands in the Indian Ocean are the things postcard dreams are made of. We did hope to go here as our honeymoon, but turns out weddings are a bit expensive and so it wasn’t on the cards that year (plus we would have been going in not-so-great-season). But I hope that one day I’ll be able to visit one of the gorgeous islands and dip my feet in the Indian Ocean…ideally when walking down from our own over-water villa… after flying in on a sea plane (also something on the bucket list).

2. Hawaii – There’s a bit of an Island theme going on already! It just looks like a stunning place, especially if you venture away from the main ‘big’ island. From the beaches and waves dotted with surfers to lush green jungles – no doubt filled with scary things I’d rather not know about… but it looks like an amazing place to visit. Ollie also dreams of taking part in the Iron Man competition that takes place there, so pretty sure he would be more than up for a trip should he get a place one day.

3. Australia – Honestly, I was never one of those people who was desperate to visit Australia on a gap year in that time before/after Uni. Maybe it was just back packing that didn’t appeal to me. But that’s not to say I don’t want to to head down-under. I’d love to visit Australia, especially Sydney and Melbourne but I’d also love to see the West Coast as have heard it’s gorgeous over there. Although to be fair I’ve heard it’s basically all over gorgeous. Where would you recommend heading to if visiting Australia?

4. Dubai – I get the impression Dubai is the sort of place that really splits opinions. Either people really want to visit there or really don’t. For me, it’s always really appealed to me. Lovely hotels, amazing food, hot (and I mean HOT) weather, beaches… not to mention the malls and apparently amazing spa prices… I love the idea of a long weekend in Dubai to see what it’s all about. I do have a couple of friends living over there too, so would be good to have someone to show the sights and suggest where to go. As I suspect it could be rather overwhelming!

5. Venice – Another place I’ve heard very mixed opinions of. But I think it looks just beautiful, and smelly and busy as it may be (I live in London, this can’t be a shock…) I would absolutely love to visit. The whole idea of water replacing tarmac and getting around by water taxi just sounds like so much fun. Plus, Italian food… as if I needed another reason to want to visit. Italy in general is actually one of the places I’d love to see more of – I got to see a little of it when I went on a cruise for work with Royal Caribbean in 2013 for a week and it just gave me a taste of wanting to explore and see more.

Places I want to re-visit:

1. San Francisco/California – I went on an amazing trip to California last year with Macy’s Tourism and loved every moment. I totally fell for San Francisco and California in general and would love to go back. My ultimate trip there would be a 2/3 week road trip so could really explore and spend some time in each of the places up and down the state that I’d love to visit (or re-visit as many of them are places I went as a child or teen with my parents). On the list? Disney Land, Santa Monica, Sonoma, San Diego, LA (to visit a friend who’s living there now), San Francisco (obvs) and Napa…just for starters!

2. Louisiana – I adore Louisiana, after living there for a year whilst attending LSU as an exchange whilst I was at University. It’s now over 10 years since I left (sad fact) but I will always take any chance I have to go back. Mainly for the people, who really are some of the best I’ve ever met. But other reasons? New Orleans – an amazing city full of music, wonderful food and history.

3. Barcelona – Probably a top contender for my favourite city in the world. If you haven’t been, then I would 100% encourage you. Manages to mix a cosmopolitan city with sandy beaches to create the perfect balance. Gorgeous buildings, tonnes of culture, tapas and Spanish food to die for (plus pretty much any other cuisine you might fancy). One of those places you can just wander around for hours looking at things and have a great time. Do make sure you take care of your belongings though as it does have a reputation for being notorious on the pick-pocket front…

This is by no means my extensive wanderlust list … If I was to write every single destination I’d love to visit then I’d probably break the internet (or just bore you to tears…). But as a starter for ten, or at least wanderlust list 1.0 – let me know where you dream of visiting! Or if you have visited any of the places I listed, what did you think and would you go back?

1. nueyork
    July 20, 2015 / 11:48 am

As an Australian, Melbourne and Sydney are definitely amazing, and will give you your fix of all things beach and city related! However, I think visiting central Australia is so worthwhile. I went on a school trip there when I was in high school and climbing Uluru is one of my favourite travel memories! The red dirt, the long, desolate roads that stretch for hours… It really exhibits how vast and unpopulated most of Australia is, but there really is so much to see out there. x

nueyork.blogspot.com

2. July 20, 2015 / 12:11 pm

i’ve never ever been to Barcelona, I am dying to go. I need to just book me and my boyfriend a long weekend away, he is so useless at organising anything. I really want to go on a safari, and go to Fiji! New Zealand too!! Great list!!!!!!!

Zoe Newlove Beauty Blogger & MUA

3. Georgie
    July 20, 2015 / 12:33 pm

Australian here as well! And you can’t go there without visiting the Great Barrier Reef (it’s an obvious one but taking a helicopter over it and deep sea diving there is an unforgettable experience) ! I have *hangs head in shame* a deep love for Surfer’s Paradise but this is really down to childhood nostalgia and most people consider it a hovel….. There is so much to see and do in Australia and if you’re going to travel over there, try and make it to New Zealand as well!!! There are so many great museums and art galleries, desert, forests, mountains and waterfalls… The only thing I absolutely cannot stand is when people visit zoos and pay to hold a koala for a picture.. It fills me with horror, just not cool.

4. July 20, 2015 / 1:23 pm

Even though I’ve already been on holiday this year, it already seems like a while ago and I’m already a bit obsessed with finding new places on Pinterest. Venice and San Francisco are definitely on my list. South America would be my dream big trip at the moment, I’d like to visit Canada, Morocco and Istanbul too. I’ve got my sights set on Lisbon for my last trip of 2015.

If you visit Australia and want somewhere smaller Town 1770 and Noosa are lovely tiny towns. I also went to the West Coast and Margaret River was great (lots of vineyards).

I could talk all day about dream travel destinations 🙂

5. July 20, 2015 / 1:48 pm

Everywhere on your list of places you’d like to visit are also on mine. Now I’m dreaming of clear blue seas and pure white beaches…going to be a productive afternoon ha! Xx

6. July 20, 2015 / 6:15 pm

I’m currently wanderlusting about South America. I would really recommend going to Australia though, my favourite country that I visited! If you can include a trip to Ayers Rock.
    Lots of love,
    Angie

SilverSpoon London

7. July 20, 2015 / 7:55 pm

Really nice wanderlust list !!! I should make one too, I would really like to go back to Florence and Palermo, Germany and Rhodes. I would really like to visit Dubai, New York, China, Japan and Egypt!

8. July 20, 2015 / 8:16 pm

I have been to Dubai about 4 times now and I love it you get both the city and beach in one. Some people think it’s over the top but it’s my perfect destination and the hotels are just out of this world their 4 / 5 star is actually a 7 star. all of these destinations sound fab. Great post and this really makes me feel like I want to go on holiday xx

franklyflawless.com

9. July 21, 2015 / 12:09 pm

I’m currently dreaming of visiting LA, Dubai and Hong Kong. If you get the chance to go I’d definitely recommend Australia, I’d love to go back and visit again once day. Traveling down the West coast has to be one of the most memorable trips of my life. Sydney has a really good mix of beach and city activities, not to mention the gorgeous sunshine and it’ll feel so surreal taking a boat ride around the famous opera house. The Whitsunday islands are amazing too, you can go snorkeling there and Whitehaven beach has to be one of the most beautiful beaches I’ve ever seen x

10. Leslie
    July 21, 2015 / 2:21 pm

Houston, TX The Bayou City The best foodie town, the arts, the history……and the people. Well…..☺️

11. July 21, 2015 / 5:56 pm

There are 3 places that are top of my list:
    – A tour of the US. I’ve been to New York and Southern California but would definitely like to explore more. I absolutely loved my time there.
    – Scandinavia, to visit the beautiful cities and also see the Northern Lights.
    – Japan. It seems so different that I would love to experience the culture.

Inma x
    sunshineandglow.blogspot.com

12. July 24, 2015 / 8:06 am

Definitely come to Australia – I may be a little biased but I can definitely recommend 🙂 Melbourne and Sydney are both beautiful and I’d personally love to head to the Great Barrier Reef further up north. I’ve been to Dubai and although I was still quite young, I thought it was a really interesting experience, I’d say it’s not worth spending more than a few days there but it’s definitely different from anywhere else in the world!

13. July 27, 2015 / 4:48 pm

Maldives is at the top of my list, but if and when I go I want to do it properly (yep, that means a water villa for me too), and the price hurts my eyeballs and brain, so it’s definitely something to save for.

You should do a stopover in Dubai for a few days on your way to the Maldives! Dubai is great – I lived there for 2 years – but worth visiting the downtown area and doing a cosmopolitan break, and saving the beach break for somewhere else… like the indian ocean…

Damn, I really want a holiday.