It’s Summer holiday season, and if you’re jetting off near or far then travel is probably something crossing your mind this time of year. I LOVE to travel, love to get some sun, see new places, re-visit ones I love and see people I don’t get to see enough all across the world. I have always promised myself unless there’s really no way I can do it then I will always say yes to the chance to travel. Either through this blog (still pinch myself that this even happens) or with Ollie, friends or family. This year I have been fortunate enough to take a few amazing trips, and it got me thinking to my wanderlust list … where in the world do I want to go in my lifetime and why. Let me know where’s the top destination in the world (no matter how near or far) that you would head to if money & time was no issue!
1. The Maldives – My number one dream destination and somewhere I really hope I’ll be able to visit one day. Why? Well, you only need to see one picture of the dreamy islands to know why. This series of small to tiny islands in the Indian Ocean are the things postcard dreams are made of. We did hope to go here as our honeymoon, but turns out weddings are a bit expensive and so it wasn’t on the cards that year (plus we would have been going in not-so-great-season). But I hope that one day I’ll be able to visit one of the gorgeous islands and dip my feet in the Indian Ocean…ideally when walking down from our own over-water villa… after flying in on a sea plane (also something on the bucket list).
2. Hawaii – There’s a bit of an Island theme going on already! It just looks like a stunning place, especially if you venture away from the main ‘big’ island. From the beaches and waves dotted with surfers to lush green jungles – no doubt filled with scary things I’d rather not know about… but it looks like an amazing place to visit. Ollie also dreams of taking part in the Iron Man competition that takes place there, so pretty sure he would be more than up for a trip should he get a place one day.
3. Australia – Honestly, I was never one of those people who was desperate to visit Australia on a gap year in that time before/after Uni. Maybe it was just back packing that didn’t appeal to me. But that’s not to say I don’t want to to head down-under. I’d love to visit Australia, especially Sydney and Melbourne but I’d also love to see the West Coast as have heard it’s gorgeous over there. Although to be fair I’ve heard it’s basically all over gorgeous. Where would you recommend heading to if visiting Australia?
4. Dubai – I get the impression Dubai is the sort of place that really splits opinions. Either people really want to visit there or really don’t. For me, it’s always really appealed to me. Lovely hotels, amazing food, hot (and I mean HOT) weather, beaches… not to mention the malls and apparently amazing spa prices… I love the idea of a long weekend in Dubai to see what it’s all about. I do have a couple of friends living over there too, so would be good to have someone to show the sights and suggest where to go. As I suspect it could be rather overwhelming!
5. Venice – Another place I’ve heard very mixed opinions of. But I think it looks just beautiful, and smelly and busy as it may be (I live in London, this can’t be a shock…) I would absolutely love to visit. The whole idea of water replacing tarmac and getting around by water taxi just sounds like so much fun. Plus, Italian food… as if I needed another reason to want to visit. Italy in general is actually one of the places I’d love to see more of – I got to see a little of it when I went on a cruise for work with Royal Caribbean in 2013 for a week and it just gave me a taste of wanting to explore and see more.
Places I want to re-visit:
1. San Francisco/California – I went on an amazing trip to California last year with Macy’s Tourism and loved every moment. I totally fell for San Francisco and California in general and would love to go back. My ultimate trip there would be a 2/3 week road trip so could really explore and spend some time in each of the places up and down the state that I’d love to visit (or re-visit as many of them are places I went as a child or teen with my parents). On the list? Disney Land, Santa Monica, Sonoma, San Diego, LA (to visit a friend who’s living there now), San Francisco (obvs) and Napa…just for starters!
2. Louisiana – I adore Louisiana, after living there for a year whilst attending LSU as an exchange whilst I was at University. It’s now over 10 years since I left (sad fact) but I will always take any chance I have to go back. Mainly for the people, who really are some of the best I’ve ever met. But other reasons? New Orleans – an amazing city full of music, wonderful food and history.
3. Barcelona – Probably a top contender for my favourite city in the world. If you haven’t been, then I would 100% encourage you. Manages to mix a cosmopolitan city with sandy beaches to create the perfect balance. Gorgeous buildings, tonnes of culture, tapas and Spanish food to die for (plus pretty much any other cuisine you might fancy). One of those places you can just wander around for hours looking at things and have a great time. Do make sure you take care of your belongings though as it does have a reputation for being notorious on the pick-pocket front…
This is by no means my extensive wanderlust list … If I was to write every single destination I’d love to visit then I’d probably break the internet (or just bore you to tears…). But as a starter for ten, or at least wanderlust list 1.0 – let me know where you dream of visiting! Or if you have visited any of the places I listed, what did you think and would you go back?