We all know how important it is to wear SPF ever day, for day to day protection from the damaging impact of the sun. But, not everyone likes the feeling of typical face sun cream. Many find that they feel heavy or like they have a layer sitting on top of skin, which on holiday is easier to tolerate. But for every day use when you have your every day makeup to deal with too it’s just a bit much. Or of course there are many people who just don’t love the texture of traditional sun cream in general. So I’ve pulled together a few alternatives to typical face sun cream in a variety of textures.
- Aveda Daily Light Guard Defense Fluid SPF30 * – Perfect if you want protection, like a liquid but something lighter works better for you. This is like a watered-down texture of a traditional sun protection, in a good way. Lighter and absorbs really quickly. It doesn’t feel like it sits on top of skin at all.
- Bioderma Hydrabio Eau De Soin SPF30 * – A mist/spray on invisible sun protection. Probably the most unique sun protection (for face) that I’ve seen this year. Well, when I went to the L’Oreal Skin Labs in Paris I saw the L’Oreal version of this concept, but it wasn’t yet destined for the UK market. So well done Bioderma for getting this out as it’s a great light protection option. It feels like you’re not wearing anything at all. So light and quick and easy to apply.
3. Murad Luminous Shielf SPF50 * – This a great option if you want high coverage (50 instead of the more often found 30) and either want a gorgeous finish for make-up or if you want to keep it natural and just go with glowing skin make-up free. This is a light creamy fluid that is a little thicker than the Aveda option, but still absorbs well and leaves skin looking bright – but not like it’s just coated in thick SPF. Just a nice, bright radiant finish.
4. Skinceuticals Mineral Matte UV Defense SPF30 * – I’ll be honest and say that my personal pick this year (yep, whole year so far) has been Skinceuticals for SPF. I love the light texture and how it doesn’t feel like I have another ‘layer’ of cream on as the skincare/make-up process. The only downside to Skinceuticals is that it is a tad on the pricey side. BUT it does last a really long time, I can easily get six months of daily use out of a tube of this side. Best thing about this Mineral Matte version is that you avoid the dreaded SPF shine.
5. Murad Invisiblur Perfecting Shield SPF30 * – Another option and another alternative texture. This one is one of those smooth and silky textures that make a great blurring base on it’s own, or a nice slip of texture base for foundation. It is that silicone feeling texture – which some love, some hate. So will be done to personal preference on that one. But if you like that blurred/silky primer feeling then this is an ideal two-birds-one-stone option so you can get SPF plus primer in one.
Also, if you’re going to pick one of these up – make sure you look out for the special edition Murad Princes Trust Collaboration where £10 from every sale will be donated to The Princes Trust. The collaboration is ongoing until the special editions sell out so it’s well worth making the effort to track one of those down.
*PR sample or gift