Curlformers* – the hair gadget that absolutely baffled me on first use. But in the end, left me quite impressed.
That pretty much sums up this post, so could be the quickest review I’ve ever written.
But these swirly hair tool/gadget things are really simple – yet really clever at the same time. They look like just ribbons of plastic, but they’re in fact, flat tubes that curl in a sprial. You use the black hook tool to grab your hair (wet) in the ‘needle’ end and pull through the centre of the flat tube. To do this, you first put the wand through the tube, then ‘hook’ your hair, and pull through to remove the wand and leave the hair in the wand’s place.
You can then let your hair dry naturally, or use this hood thing to blow dry it – I find the hood takes quite a while, but is nice and warm (and amusing to watch – as it’s like having big black wig that inflates on your head).
I did have a bit of trouble on first use, then got the hang of them. My problem was being impatient and wanting to see if the curls took – so I took one side out too soon and they flopped a bit. But as you can see, when they dry properly they really create great natural waves.
So my tips for using the Curlformers:
1. Practice first if you plan to use them for an event or special occasion. They’re easy when you get the hang of it, but take a bit of practice first.
2. Dry your hair a little before you use then. Don’t use when you’re hair is soaking wet, the drying process just takes too long (even with the hot air hood thing). Maybe dry it around 50-60% then put the Curlformers in.
3. Use fairly small sections in the Curlformers. Using too large sections can just lead to tangles and the hair not sliding easily through the tube. So smaller sections work best.
4. Use product to hold. Probably an obvious one, but pop some styling product in there before you let them dry/set. Then add some hair spray after to hold the curls in place.
5. Let hair totally dry before taking them out. I mean totally, 100% dry – if you take them out early, your hair is likely to drop out as the curls wont have set properly.
But follow those tips above and easy beachy waves will be yours in no time! I am yet to master sleeping in these, but determined to make it happen. My favourite beauty routines are those I can sleep through!