Spend vs Save: Nude Nail Polish

Nude nail polish will always be a classic look that manages to bridge the gap between on-trend and eternally stylish. The trick is finding the right nude for your skin tone – too pink and you look like you have lobster hands, too yellow and you can verge on smokers nails…  In the hunt for the ideal nude shade I have two here to look at – from either end of the price scale, so you can find a shade if you want to spend or if you want to save. Plus I have a favourite of the two..

nude nails burberry dupe

The two shades are Rimmel London Salon Pro in 125 ‘Oh Mr Darcy’  *(£4.49) and Burberry Nail Polish in 100 ‘Nude Beige’ *(£15). In the bottle the two shades look pretty similar – both being pale nudes – but it’s when you swatch them that they look quite different and it shows the differences that can happen between seemingly-identical nude shades.

The Rimmel is the more pink toned of the two, and the Burberry more yellow toned. The Rimmel definitely suits my skin tone more than the Burberry. I think if I had a bit of a tan I could pull off the Burberry, but without one I’m just too pale. Quality wise, the Rimmel is slightly thicker and only took a couple of coats, where the Burberry was a bit more sheer and needed an extra layer or two to get to a comparable level of opacity.

Packaging wise, there’s no denying that the Burberry wins hands down. The bottles of the Burberry nail shades are just gorgeous – as is the whole of the Burberry Beauty line. But for me on these two, it’s the ‘save’ option that wins out – the Rimmel is my favourite of the two. But I will be checking out some more of the Burberry nail range as there are some lovely shades in there (including some alternative nude shades – I have my eye on ‘Dark Trench’). At £15, they’re not cheap – but not the most extortionate premium polish I’ve stumbled across.

1. February 18, 2014 / 1:19 pm

I definitely prefer the Rimmel offering! I think overall I tend to like pinker nudes rather than yellow–yellow can just seem more on the sickly side of things. I have OPI Samoan sand which is very in the middle but it leans more towards pink than yellow.
    Amber
    Lovely Notions

2. February 18, 2014 / 1:20 pm

I absolutely agree with you on this one, I love the colour of the Rimmel one, but that packaging is BEAUT on the Burberry one! I got a nice nude colour from the new Model’s Own Hyper Gel collection that I am going to review this week!

Shelley x

3. February 18, 2014 / 4:29 pm

The Burberry polish is a much more beautiful nude, I think its one of those polishes that is worth the price tag
    Roshni’s Journey

4. February 18, 2014 / 7:08 pm

I actually much prefer the colour of the Rimmel polish, I do adore the Burberry packaging though!

Holly / Face LDN

5. February 18, 2014 / 7:43 pm

I totally agree on the colour scale. You have to pick the right shade for your skin tone to make it look good and the Rimmel shade looks lovely and the name just make it perfect 🙂

6. February 18, 2014 / 7:50 pm

The Rimmel looks the nicest one. I love Rimmel polishes, they have a great colour range.

7. February 18, 2014 / 9:20 pm

I definitely prefer the Rimmel colour but the Burberry packaging is so much more appealing! Thanks for sharing.

Katy xx

8. Vicki
    February 18, 2014 / 9:36 pm

If I was going off colour alone I would pick the Rimmel as its a pretty nude but if i was going for packaging it would be Burberry – very luxurious & sleek

9. February 19, 2014 / 1:15 am

I think Rimmel would definitely be my winner here. The Burberry one would be too pale for me and I think would make me look a bit washed but the Rimmel would warm up my complexion, which is what it normally needs x

Becky @ The Little Blog of Beauty

10. February 19, 2014 / 7:09 pm

I love the Rimmel shade and for half the price too!

P.xx